non-entitled

"Loyalty means nothing unless it has at its heart the absolute principle of self-sacrifice."

JJ, Kie, Pope and I stand in Heyward's shop helping him out. "Don't think about it, they were three and we were two", JJ tries to calm Pope down. "Excuse me? You had help from us ladies", I joke and slap JJ's arm. "Typical kook bullshit. What were you thinking when you knocked his head?" "I don't know man, I just reacted like an animal that was driven into the corner."

"Hey Pope, there's someone who wants to talk to you", Heyward comes to us. Pope looks up in surprise but greets him as usual, "Good evening, officer." "I've got a detention order for criminal property damage", he simply informs us, "Leave your hands on the counter where I can see them."

"Wait, Shoupe, what did he do?", Heyward asks not believing that his son would do anything that is illegal. No one would think that. And in my eyes, Pope only did what was right. Rafe and Topper beat him up without any reason. Everyone is talking and becomes louder each second. Shoupe does his job and Pope lets him do it while his dad is trying to ask the Deputy what's going on and why he would have a detention order against his son.

JJ, Kie and I tell him to let go off our friend and become louder the longer he's holding Pope. I notice the anxiety in the boys' eyes. Everything that he has been working for, could be gone within a second. His whole plans for the future. We all follow them outside to the Deputy's car while still trying to tell him that Pope is innocent until they stop due to JJ speaking up.

"It wasn't him! It was me. He tried to talk me out of doing it but I was angry because he was beat up. I was so annoyed of those Figure Eight assholes that I freaked out. I cannot let you take the blame for it. You've got so much to lose." I laid my hand on JJ's arm whispering that he should stop as soon as he began talking but he shrugged me off and played the role of the perpretator perfectly.

"JJ, what are you doing?", Pope asks. "I'm telling the truth. At least for once in my life, I want to speak the truth. I also took his dad's boat." "What's the point of that?" Heyward didn't understand JJ as well. Why would he do it? To save Pope's ass? Of course, Pope doesn't deserve it, but it won't be better for JJ.

"JJ, stop." "Be quiet now, Pope, be quiet! He's a good guy and you know where I come from", JJ speaks to Shoupe again who nods. "Yeah." "I've done it."

"Is that the truth?", the Deputy turns to Pope. "I swear it's the truth", JJ repeats firmly. "I've heard enough of you. Now I'm asking Pope." "Yes, JJ is telling the truth."

"Wait, Deputy, can I come with you?", I ask him loudly and quickly as soon as he holds JJ. "You're not a family members of his. Go home to Figure Eight, Isabella. Kiara and you can have a future without rowdy boys like him."

"Fuck", I shout while the Deputy drives away with JJ on the back seat, "Pope, where is his bike? Where is JJ's bike?" "Iz, what do you want with his bike now? You can't help him!", Kie yells back in frustration.

"I can at least try to help him. I'll do whatever I can!", I insist and grab his helmet from the stairs. Pope looks at me sadly and nervously. "You can't even drive a motorbike."

JJ showed me how to do it. I was extremely anxious especially of getting hurt or destroying his bike but he told me everything that I need to know. "I've learned it", I reply and tighten the safeguard of JJ's helmet.

"Iz", Kie holds me back by my arm before I can sit on his bike, "You love him. You're in love with JJ." "He needs me, Kie", I reply instead, my voice being thin from all the emotions. I don't listen to her anymore, just sit down on JJ's bike and start it. I'll be there as fast as I can.

"Sheriff Peterkin!", I yell from the entrance of the police station, "Sheriff Peterkin! I need to talk to you." Instead of a more trustful Sheriff Peterkin, Deputy Shoupe walks into my direction. "Isabella, I've told you that there's nothing you can do. Go home to your family."

"No, you need to hear me out. JJ is not the typical poster child, I get it. But how can you let him sit here while Rafe and Topper get away for beating up Pope? How is that fair? Let me at least talk to him, please!", I literally beg him but he still shakes his head. "I'll pay the bail for him. You said yourself. JJ comes from a different home. And I should at least be allowed to pay the bail."

"The bail has to be paid by the guardian, Isabella. Go home to your aunt and calm down, now. It's been a stressful day", he ignores me again. "Then let me pay for the damage. I've got my wallet here. How much is it? I'll pay it all."

Before he can answer - or ignore me again - I see Sheriff Peterkin coming out of a room so I run up to her. "Is JJ in there?"

"What are you doing here, Isabella? You're not a family member." "I've told her that already but that kid won't give up. She wants to pay the fees now", Shoupe laughs behind me. Oh how I would have loved to hit him now.

"You can go on with your work, I'll talk to her", she tells him and becomes more quiet when she turns to me, "All of you can safe him from going to juvie, Isabella. You just have to tell me what you kids are planning."

"We're just hanging around", I reply playing cool, "We don't have any plans." Even if I wanted, I couldn't tell her anything. This about the five of us, I wouldn't just tell her about John B's dad and the treasure. Especially without any guarantee for JJ.

"You want to act like you don't know it? Fine. Go home now. JJ's dad is going to come."

"No! Let me at least pay for the damage. You know where I come from and where JJ comes from. It won't hurt me", I beg her again but moves on. "You're not an adult, Isabella. Even if I wanted to help you, I can't."

_____________________________
author's note: I've published a Rudy Pankow story! It's called "Shining Star" and you'll find it on my profile. Please check it out and feel free to leave your opinion xx