13: Spin the Gun

The sky is dark. It's an autumn night, but it doesn't seem to be particularly chilly. Two men are sitting outside a 24hour café. The younger one sits in a wheelchair and sips his hot chocolate.

"Tell me again, why did you not get coffee?" The older one asks.

"Was never a fan of coffee. Too bitter. Even with the sugar, milk, and whatnot," he replies.

"You seem comfortable around me, even though you've only known me for a day."

"What can I say? We have common interests. I consider you a friend."

"Ha! How to you know I won't kill you?"

"Now, now, K. I know you're saving up that energy for the others."

"You're right on that one. Won't they be killing each other, though?"

"Of course, but what is someone decides to - what do you call it? Chicken out?"

"Chicken out. What an odd phrase. Well, someone will always decide to scurry off, won't they?"

A woman appears, heels clicking against the pavement. She places her hands on the boy's shoulders. "Why are we here?" she asks. "Why don't we continue this meeting at my place? Possibly over a bottle of wine, no?"

"Must I remind you that the boy is still underage?" K says sternly.

She rolls her eyes and takes a seat next to the wheel-chaired boy. "Ch- Uh, I mean. Cal, could you please tell this man to know who his superiors are?"

"I know who my superiors are, and I can tell you that you-" he points a sharp finger at the woman. "Are not one of them."

"Now I feel gravely offended. Cal, what do you think? Isn't he just rude? What was the point of inviting himmmmmm?"

"Becau-"

"Missus-"

"Ha! You thought I was married?"

The two keep on bickering and telling each other how immature they are.

"Can't you people please shut up!" Cal yells. He hoped he hadn't woken anyone up, and that the café wouldn't get trouble because of noise complaints.

They fall silent.

"Thank you," he breathes. "On to the plan. Who are we going to kill?"

"I want there to be eight - four girls and four boys," The woman says.

"You know what Em, that's a pretty good idea."

"Thank you, Cal. You're so sweet."

Cal smiles innocently and says, "Let's talk about this somewhere else. What about the wine?"

"Of course," Em says.

"Need I remind you? He's underage."

"Who cares? Am I right?" Em says while spinning on her heel.

K rolls his eyes, but still gets up and starts following Em and Cal.

The story of how a professional assassin, a boy in a wheelchair, and a mentally unstable yet rich woman met and plotted a complex game that would leave the floor flooded with blood. 

Just a quick side note: I am actually working on making this into an actual novel. I have the first couple of chapter written out.