Chapter 20

The camp's director, Gary Granger, blows a whistle. He is a major gung-ho type.

Gary stands beside his equally enthusiastic, violently peppy wife, Becky Morton Granger.

"Attention! Listen up, everyone! I'm Gary Granger!" He exclaims.
"And I'm Becky Morton Granger!" His wife also exclaims, though in a much more obnoxious enthusiastic way.

"We're the owners and directors here at Camp Chippewa, America's foremost facility for privileged young adults!"
"And we're all here to learn, to grow, and to just plain have fun!"
"'Cause that's what being privileged is all about!" The couple says, taking turns speaking.

the Buckmans are smiling proudly at Amanda.

Morticia's hands are still on Wednesday's shoulders.

Wednesday is holding a clear, antique bottle to her mouth. labeled in big letters, 'POISON', with a skull and crossbones on the label.

Joel Glicker, another camper, a spindly and pale boy, with glasses --he is clearly not cut out for Chippewa. His parents, the Glickers, stand on either side of him, holding his shoulders. "Mom, I don't think I like it here..."

His parents weren't listening, "Stand up straight Joel!" His mother scolds, slapping him on the back.
Mr. Glicker scolds Joel as well "Smile!"

"I can't breathe..." Joel uses an inhaler.

You are helping Pugsley, standing beside a tree. A ... rope... hangs from the limb of the tree. Pugsley stands on a wooden stool, and slips his head into the rope and you push him so he can swing like he wanted to.

You, Wednesday, Pugsley and Amanda stand with a group of other children, on the dock of the camp lake. They all wear bathing suits, Wednesday and Pugsley wear black, full-length, twenties-style suits.

Gary Granger stands at the end of the dock. He blows his whistle.
"Life-saving! I know we're all top-notch little swimmers, and now we get to show our stuff. And earn those certificates, Let's have our first pair of life-saving buddies," Gary pauses looking around at the children deciding who to partner up.

Amanda approached Wednesday.
"Is that your bathing suit?" She questioned Wednesday in disgust

She half snaps back "Is that your overbite?"

Gary clears his throat,
"Now, one of you will be the drowning victim, and one of you will be our life saver." He announces.

"I'll be the Victim!" Amanda volunteers, as Wednesday sneers "All your life.."

Amanda ignores her, "I want to be an Actress." Gary claps and praises her. "Brava! Now, Amanda, you jump in, swim out a few yards, and start drowning."
Amanda jumps in and swims out a few yards, and over dramatically flails around, "Help me! Help me! I'm drowning!" she pretends to
struggle, "Help me! I'm dying!"

Wednesday turns to Gary and smiles.
"I can't swim."

"Well, she didn't confess. ... yet." You shrug.

Gary is not amused at this, and he blows his whistle.