Why I Keep the Lights On

Prompt: Explain why you're afraid of the dark.

Sometimes, I think I see things in the dark. Then I feel them, creeping and slithering up my back. I know that they can't hurt me unless I let them but.. It's still not fun and it's still scary. Have you ever felt something cold and invisible slowly make its way up your entire body, just to stop where you feel it the most? Every day, all day. It's almost as if they're attracted to me, like they know that even though I'm from a different world, they'll get some sort of recognition. I hate it, especially the ones that look almost human, but not quite. I can never really see anything, just shadows and vague shapes. They're harder to see in the light, that's why I like it. But dim light, that's the worse because you can see them and they can see you and everywhere you turn, they're right there and there's nothing to block them out or stop them because you can't touch beings that are from a different world. They're just vague thoughts that someone once had, never quite given a proper form, so they lurk, seeking that one thing that might let them cross over. That might let them be... Real. They want to be real and to exist and to not have physical limits and boundaries because having none and all of them at the same time is torture. They can touch you and see you can use your things but they can never change things. They can do whatever they want except for what they truly desire, to make a difference.

You see, spirits are not ghosts, although they may seem similar. They're not. Not at all. In fact, there may not be an actual ghost for miles and miles but, right now, you are surrounded by spirits. All the half-baked, unfinished ideas and thoughts of everyone that have ever been, and ever will be, are crowding around you, trying so hard to be recognized. You're drowning in them right now, and you don't even know it. Well.. Now you do...

They haunt me. In every aspect of my life, they're always there. I've learned to block them out of my vision, for the most part.. And I've somewhat tried to convince myself that they're nor real, they're not actually there! You're just going a bit crazy! But it's fine! Just ignore it all and it will go away. But they don't. They never go away. And that feeling I get when they chase me or have bad intentions when they're around me? I try to tell myself that it's just anxiety, but I know it's not. I know it. And maybe I am a bit crazy, but at least I'm not some deferred idea left out to rot in the midst of the chaotic cycle that we call life.

But that's not the point. The point is that they're coming. One day someone stupid, stupider than me will let them out. Will give them permission to hurt them and everyone and even give them a physical form. That will be the day we rued turning off the lights.