3.

It was Sunday afternoon, the day I would do my grocery shopping. Living alone isn't easy but it's nice sometimes. I do miss my parents but I understand that what they're doing is best for me. I was actually supposed to move to Japan and live with them but they wanted me to stay here with my friends since in Japan I would have to make new friends and that my parents would be really busy to spend time with me. Again, that's understandable.

They send me lots of gifts and money from Japan so that I would still be able to sustain myself without working while in school, so that's good.

"Aren't you the girl that came over yesterday?"

I stopped picking the fruits and looked up to see Niki's mother.

"Oh hello ma'am. And yeah I was"

She gave me a sweet smile, patting my back. A little awkward but ok.

"You're such a sweet girl. Are you shopping for your parents."

"Ah no. I live alone. My parents are working in Japan right now."

"Oh wow, very independent."

I nodded my head. I'm really awkward when it comes down to talking to adults.

"You can come to my house if you want something homemade. I'm sure Niki wouldn't mind." I nodded my head, I was about to say something until she spoked first. "You know, Niki hasn't introduced me to any of his friends in a long time. After his father past away he's had a really tough time. He'd have nightmares keeping him up at night. And he would get frustrated really easily. I thought it was best if we moved away for a while so that he could start off fresh. That's why we came here. But I was scared he wouldn't make any friends, but he found you. I haven't heard him talk this much ever since that day."

What she said really made me think. Niki's been through a lot and I was able to help him. It felt nice knowing that I changed something in him. Not knowing much of him yet knowing more than I needed to.

I finished buying my groceries and headed home after biding my farewell to Niki's mum.

Your mum is really sweet: Me

Niki. She told me she saw you today

Oh my he's not speaking in Japanese anymore!

Omg you're not using Japanese: Me
seen

Hey I know you understood that: Me
seen

Wow so he's ignoring me now, fun.
I laughed to myself.

~~~

I walked through the hallways alone since Giselle said she wasn't feeling. I'll probably drop by her house to see if she's really sick or just lazy to go to school.

There were students already inside the classroom and one of them happen to be Niki. He had his earphones in while resting his head on the desk.

Payback time for leaving me on seen.

I slowly crept up to him trying be as subtle as possible.

"RAAH"

Niki jumped up almost falling off the chair. He looked he saw a ghost while I was on the floor laughing and holding my stomach. That was gold.

"What was that for?" He sat down on the chair again and groaning while resting his head on the desk.

"Oh come on I know you know more than just Japanese"

He ignored me so I just became annoying. I started poking him, he'll get tired of it eventually.

"Ok fine you got me, I lied to everyone that I can only speak Japanese" he snapped at me while raising his head off the desk.

Ha gotcha.

"I knew it" I laughed. Finally cracked the code, just be annoying.

He rolled his eye and was about to rest his head when the teacher came in.

I watched as he groaned and semi sat up straight, turning his attention to the teacher.

~~~

School was over in a flash. Giselle texted me that she was hungry so I told her to meet at the restaurant near her house and I'd meet her there. And that I was also bringing any other person.

"Niki!" I ran up from behind him and of course I got a good reaction from him. He didn't say anything but gave me a 'really?' look.

"What" he blurted.

"We are going to get lunch together."

"Wait what do you-" before he could finish his sentence i hooked my arm around his and pulled him with me.

He was my plus one.

27/12/20