Chapter 15

I hadn't noticed the last sight of the setting sun when I came running out of the house. It wasn't until Axel flicked on his headlights that I realised how dark it had become.

The silence deafens me. I wish someone would say something but I can't bring myself to open up my mouth and start a conversation.

Growing tired of looking out the front window at the deserted area, I lean back and close my eyes for a while.

When I open them again, I'm shocked to see the road lined with a thick layer of towering trees on either side.

As the dirt road roughens and we realise Axel, the daredevil, won't slow, we all put our seatbelts on just so we can stay in our seats for a second. The road winds and bends through the woodland area, tossing us around and giving me pain to focus on rather than the thoughts in my head.

The car roars up a hill and as it reaches the top, another car comes into view.

Axel slams on the brakes. "Shit!" he exclaims.

We all fly forward, saved by our seatbelts, and the car comes to a stop behind the almost invisible black car with a hair width gap between the two of them.

"Woah!" Jonah says, staring ahead at it.

"That came out of nowhere." Wyatt holds Jonah's seat in front of him.

Without hesitation, I unclip my seatbelt and throw myself out of the car, running up to the parked car ahead. My hand tugs on the first door handle I get to but I only get a thud from it as it remains closed. I get the same result from the driver's door. I don't bother running around to the other side to check, I assume all the doors are locked. Instead, I hit the hood of the car with my hand and give an anger infused shout.

I peer into the window, using both my hands to see past my reflection, only to be staring at the empty front seats.

A quick glance into the back seats stops my heart. The shadows hide it well, but with the help of the last of the sunlight, I can make out the dark stain on the seat.

The three others walk towards me, showing no interest in the inside of the car. I'm sure my fallen expression has given them the answer they need.

"Where could they have gone now?" Jonah asks calmly, oblivious to the sinking heart I have in my chest.

"The only place they could have gone," Wyatt replies. "In."

Swallowing hard and taking a deep breath in, I'm able to get my words out. "And that's where I'm going."

"Not alone," Jonah says, stepping forward.

"We'll split into pairs." Axel gestures to each of us. "Jonah, you go with Dorian. Wyatt, you're with me."

We walk in together but drift apart to take different paths.

As soon as Axel and Wyatt have vanished into the shadows, I say, "How will we find them out here? They could be anywhere."

The moment of hesitation takes away any reassurance he could try to give me. "I don't know," he answers, discouraging me more.

"Well, thanks for being honest," I say.

"We'll find them," he says, his voice holding no conviction.

"Go back to being honest."

He doesn't reply and we walk in silence. The sounds of sticks snapping beneath our feet echo through the forest.

They would be able to hear us from a mile away. We'll never catch them.

A shout echoes through the trees from my left, and Jonah and I pull to a stop. Footsteps move towards the cars. Jonah and I share a look before we turn and run, following the rushed steps.

***