Chapter 10

As I pull up and stop my car at the garage, a mechanic pulls his head out from under the hood of a car and stares at me. 

I try to ignore the ill feeling in my gut. Everything about him makes me nervous.

Tangled, dusty blonde hair reaches the middle of his neck, framing his pointed face. The grease on his face—staining his overgrown stubble—doesn't hide his sharp jawline and intense features. Thick eyebrows make his dark, empty eyes more piercing and fierce.

When I get out, he walks towards me, putting a smile on his face that does nothing to make him appear friendly. "What can I do for ya today?" He asks, rubbing his hands on a rag he pulls out of the pocket in his pants.

"I'm looking for Nathan," I tell him. "Is he here?"

"No, sorry," he says, stopping and crossing his arms. "He's out sick."

Sure he is. I'm sure he's so sick he can't even get out of bed. What a load of crap. Sick in the head maybe.

"Do you know where I could find him?" I ask, keeping my voice calm and steady.

He tucks the rag back in his pocket. "Is there anything I can help you with?"

"Yeah, you could tell me where to find him?"

I already hate this guy. He's standing in the way of me finding Nathan and my sister.

"I don't know where he is," he says, not even trying to sound the slightest bit convincing. "But I'm sure I could help you if you tell me what the problem is."

"I need to find him." I do my best to hold my anger at bay. "Do you know his address?"

He hesitates a second, then says, "I don't."

He's lying. It's not hard to tell.

"Give it to me," I demand.

He folds his arms over his chest. "I can't do that." The dirty grey button-up uniform hugs him tight around his biceps and massive shoulders. His bare arms show his suntanned skin, glowing red with recent sunburn.

"Of course you can," I say. "Just write it down, slip it to me, and walk away."

"Maybe you should leave." He takes a step towards me, and although my gut tells me to step back and keep distance between us, I stand my ground.

"I'm not going anywhere until you give me his address."

"I'm not going to do that." He steps forward again. "Leave." He easily passes six foot in height, probably close to six foot five.

"I need to know where he is."

"I don't care." Stepping forward once more puts him in arms length of me and he seizes his opportunity before I have a chance to move, shoving me backwards.

"You should," I say attempting to gain my balance.

"Get out of here, boy." Another shove.

I stumble into the gutter, but I'm saved from crashing to the ground by my car.

He stands there, staring at me, waiting with his arms crossed for me to leave.

I straighten up, move to the side and open the car door. "You better hope he doesn't hurt my sister."

As I'm about to get in the car, he scoffs and asks, "What are you talking about?"

I stop and glare at him. "He kidnapped my little sister this morning."