Chapter 35

We help clean up after breakfast and relocate to the lounge room where we find a channel on the TV for Misty to watch while we sit around talking.

"When do you plan on going to get all your stuff from your mum's house?" Wyatt asks me.

"I don't know," I say. "I would like to get everything as soon as possible, because knowing her, she would probably sell everything that's not hers, but I need to find somewhere to store it first."

"You could use our back shed," Jonah suggests.

I stare at him blankly.

"It's completely empty," he continues. "We've never used it. It's just sat there taking up space."

"Seriously?" Things can't be working out this well for me. How did I ever deserve these amazing friends?

"Yeah," he answers. "My dad has been thinking about tearing it down for months now because it's useless to us."

"Yeah, okay," I say, feeling a slight pang of guilt from accepting all the offers thrown my way, even though I know I don't have much of a choice. "But I can't do it alone," I continue, "and I won't do it while the witch is there."

Fear grips my heart at the thought of walking into the house and coming face to face with her one last time. I've always imagined the last big blowup I would have with her before I walked out the door. I felt I wouldn't be satisfied unless I could scream in her face what a terrible mother she is before I left. Now, I can't imagine anything worse.

I want nothing more to do with her. I never want to see her face again.

"We can go with you," Axel offers. "We can wait outside until she leaves so we know she won't be there and we'll leave before she gets back."

"We can't all go." I glance over at Misty, sat on the floor, eyes glued to the screen with some cartoon playing. "I don't want Misty to go back. Someone will have to stay behind."

"I will," Jonah says. "It's not like I would be much help." He nods down to his arm in a sling.

"Do you know anything about kids?" Wyatt asks him.

Jonah shrugs. "How hard can it be?"

"More difficult than if you had two working arms I imagine," Wyatt laughs.

"Nah, I could do it with no arms."

"Maybe you should stay and babysit Jonah," Axel says to Wyatt, and we all laugh at Jonah's exaggerated offended expression.

"It might be best if you both stay here," I say to Wyatt and Jonah. I look at Axel. "And you and I go."

Axel laughs. "Yeah, sure."

"The last time we split up, it didn't work so well." We all shake our heads and ignore the overjoyed Jonah chuckling on the end of the couch.

I turn back to Axel. "But one car might not be big enough if we're going to take it all in one trip." That's my plan. One trip and never go back.

"You can take my car too," Jonah says, smiling. "So long as you promise not to use it in a car chase."

"What's with you bringing up bad memories to use as jokes," Wyatt scolds with a smile.