Chapter 30

Arriving back at the house, Axel pulls the car to a stop and Wyatt manages to get a single bar of service, allowing him to make a call to the police.

While he talks to the person on the other end of the line, I hold my breath. I watch Axel and Jonah as he speaks. I'm sure they stop breathing too.

Axel's jaw tenses and he sucks in a deep breath when Wyatt says, "They were both stabbed...No. One of them stabbed the other, we stabbed the other one in self defence...He was going to kill us..."

Jonah, holding onto his injured arm, rests his head back and closes his eyes while we listen to the recount of everything that happened inside the house.

And when Wyatt tells the dispatcher, "Yeah, we'll wait here," I let out a low, deep groan.

I assume the dispatcher used his cell phone signal to track down our location because the only thing Wyatt said about out whereabouts is we that didn't know where we were.

He drops his phone from his ear and tells us what we already know, "We have to wait here for the police to arrive.

We wait for thirty minutes before the first police car pulls up beside ours. The second car arrives moments after that and they're soon followed by five more.

We get out of the car as soon as the first officer does, but we're told to stay where we are and wait for someone to talk to us.

Axel and Jonah stand beside the car, watching the police officers walk back and forth. Wyatt sits sideways in the front passenger seat with the door open, leaning forward to talk with Axel and Jonah. I sit in the back seat with Misty still leaning against me in the middle seat, clutching my beanie in both hands.

A few more cars and vans pull up and all the officers talk to each other for several minutes before we're finally questioned.

Nothing too in-depth at first. They just want to know where the bodies are located, how badly we're injured, if anybody else is around, what happened to any of the weapons, and if we needed anything before the paramedics arrived.

We answered their questions honestly and they tell us to stay put.

While we wait they give each of us a bottle of water. All of them are empty within seconds except Misty's. She barely drinks half and I eye it off for a few minutes before I can't take it any longer and I ask her if I can have some. She hands it over with a smile and a nod, and I give it back with a quarter of the water left.

By the time the two officers come to talk to us, Axel and Jonah have joined us in the car. Axel takes his place behind the wheel and Jonah sits beside Misty and I.

Our doors stay open, and despite the noise from all the officers, Misty lies with her head on my leg and her feet resting in Jonah's lap, light snores emanating from her parted mouth.

Just as I'm about to wake her, she jumps in her sleep, the nightmare waking her up instead. She complains, telling me she hadn't wanted to fall asleep but it just happened without her realising. I soothe her and help her out of the car with me and the other three.

Before the officers ask their first question, the woman officer takes Misty by the hand and leads her to sit on the stairs of the house to question her alone—probably in a more sensitive way.

The man officer stands in front of our group and begins his long line of questions.

We explain everything, leaving nothing out. The three of them can only explain the last half of what happened, I'm left to tell about what happened before I called them.

I tell them about Mum, and about the barman that told me where to find Nathan. As soon as I mention him, I wonder if I should have kept him out of it, but he's probably my best alibi. Mum won't help.