Chapter XXIII

-Ariel-

When he got to Heaven, Jael and Raguel were waiting for him. Charmeine and Laila were there too, and he was initially confused when they weren't glaring at him like Jael and Raguel.

"Hey, what's going on?" Charmeine asked.

Raguel stared at him, a look of disgust on his face. "We didn't tell her. I've left that up to you."

His shoulders drooped, and he looked up at Charmeine, and then over to Laila.

"You know how I told you that I loved someone, but I didn't think anyone else would like him?" he asked Laila.

"Yes, I remember."

He looked over at Charmeine, trying to be brave and look her right in the eyes as he told her what would probably hurt her.

"The name of the one I love is Dante. He's a demon."

Charmeine's lips parted, but he wasn't prepared for the sadness in her eyes. "Is this true?"

"It is. It's why I've been spending so much time alone on Earth. I've been with him."

"I don't know what to say."

His eyes welled up with tears. "Say that we're still friends."

"I don't know if I can say that right now." There were tears in her eyes too.

"Charmeine," he said, his voice breaking. "It's me. You know me."

"The Ariel I know wouldn't do this."

"Is it such a crime?" he cried. "To love?"

"You can't love a demon!" Jael piped up, his voice colder than Ariel had ever heard. "What is there to love?"

"How did this even come about?" Raguel asked. "I can't possibly understand how it could have happened."

"Ariel," Laila said. "Is he the demon who attacked you?"

He looked over at her and nodded, grateful that he didn't have to say it.

"Can this get any more fucked up?" Jael yelled. "Not only are you in love with a demon, but you're in love with your abuser?"

"He's not abusive!" he protested. "He stopped and let me go, and then he apologized for it. It was the only time he's ever attacked an angel. He's not like that."

"If you're so confident about that, then why the interrogation about the demon who attacked me? Unless you were afraid he did it!"

"Yes, I was worried about it initially, but that was a mistake. I was wrong to ever think that about him."

"You're wrong to have ever loved him!"

"Enough!" Raguel said, raising his voice. "Ariel, God is expecting you. Everyone else, go prepare dinner."

"I don't think I can eat," Jael spat, before turning and striding away.

He took one last look at Charmeine, who simply shook her head and turned away. With tears burning his eyes, he slunk off to see God. He didn't think he could feel any lower than he did right now.

As he approached her, he sat down, not meeting her eyes.

"Ariel. For years, you've been the angel I've had the least concerns about. But now, I find out that you've committed the worst sin possible."

He couldn't stop himself from openly weeping.

"There are reasons why angels and demons aren't supposed to interact," God continued. "I never thought I'd see an angel end up with a demon. In the history of Heaven, Hell, and Earth, it's never happened. Why now, and why you?"