11

On Saturday morning, Harry woke up earlier than the rest of his dorm mates. He and Draco would be meeting at the gates, and then walk to Hosmeade Village together. The Great Hall wasn't very full yet, and Harry ate a quick breakfast of toast and oatmeal, before queuing behind the other early risers by the front door. Once he was allowed out by Filch, Harry hurried down the steps to the gates, keen to get off the grounds before he was spotted by Ron or Hermione.

When Draco saw Harry coming down the drive, he turned around and took slow steps, so that, to a passerby, it wouldn't look like he'd been waiting for Harry. Harry fell into step with Draco and they went on their way.

When they reached the Village, they went to Honeydukes first. There was a large assortment of chocolates near the front of the shop. Strawberry filled chocolate hearts; fluttering white chocolate doves; Chocolate models of Cupid. It was then that Harry remembered that it was Valentine's Day.

Draco got a small box of the special chocolates, and then filled a bag with his usual candies. Harry didn't end up buying any. Draco paid, and they stepped outside into the cold. As they walked down the street, Harry saw that there were several couples shopping, and some were going to Madam Puddifoot's Tea Shop.

A weird feeling filled Harry's stomach. He glanced at Draco who was leading him to a new store. Could this be something other than just a friendly Hogsmeade trip?

≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈

"What do you think of this?" Draco asked.

They were in Gladrags Wizardwear, and Harry was browsing a magazine, bored out of his mind. He looked up at the fortieth set of robes Draco had picked out. They were navy blue and slim. The narrow cuffs and hem had little gold stars sewn into them.

"Uh yeah, sure. Looks great."

Draco added it to his growing pile.

"Are you almost done?" Harry asked.

"Just one more minute!" Draco said.

Harry groaned as Draco ran to another rack of evening robes.

Finally, Draco paid for his new clothes, and told the salesgirl to have it owled to Malfoy Manor. Harry was quick to leave the store, worried that Draco might see something else he wanted.

"Let's head over to The Three Broomsticks now," Harry said. "Shopping has made me hungry."

"Alright."

So the boys made their way to the pub.

"What do you want to eat?" Draco asked, as they sat at a table.

"A sandwich."

"Okay. I'll be back."

Harry watched Draco go to the bar to get their food. He drummed his fingers on the table as he looked around at the other people eating. There were other Hogwarts students, professors, and other people who Harry supposed were residents of Hogsmeade Village.

At a table further back, Harry saw Hermione and Luna sitting at a table, with Rita Skeeter. Harry was instantly suspicious, since Skeeter was not known for writing things in an accurate way. Harry also noticed that her curls seemed a bit limp, and her face looked older without the heavy makeup.

Harry was just thinking of going over, when Draco came back with two butterbeers, a plate of chips, and two grilled chicken sandwiches. Harry took a sip of his drink, enjoying the sweetness from it, and then took a large bite of his sandwich.

"You know, Potter," Draco drawled. "It's Valentines Day. Technically we're on a date."

Harry choked on his food. "W-what?" So then he'd been right to think this was something more that just two friends.

Draco laughed. "I'm just messing with you, Potter! You should have seen your face!"

Harry glared at him. "Oh shove off-!" Harry stopped mid sentence as the door opened and a stout man with a bowler hat, and a witch with a large bow on her head, stepped in the pub.

As Professor Umbridge and the Minister of Magic, Cornelius Fudge came over their way, Harry ducked under table with the premise of replacing his shoes.

Draco looked at him confused. "What're you doing?" But then Draco saw the Minister and Umbridge. Draco continued to eat calmly, and waited until the adults were at the bar. Then he put some money on the table, and he grabbed Harry by the arm, and they left The Three Broomsticks before Umbridge could spot them together.

They kept running down the high street, until they reached the road leading back to Hogwarts. They were laughing as they caught their breaths. Draco threw an arm over Harry's shoulders, his face filled with glee.

Suddenly, an owl hooted, and landed on a rock next to the road. Harry and Draco exchanged confused looks, before Harry went over to the owl. It hooted again, and stuck out it's leg. Harry took the letter, and it flew off.

"Who's it from?" Draco asked.

"No clue." Harry said, and then tore open the letter.

To Harry Potter,
Did you really think that I would fall for your trap?

- Lord Voldemort

"You wrote to the Dark Lord?!" Draco yelled. "Are you mad?!"

"Announce it to the world, why don't you?" Harry hissed, as he looked around to see if anyone had overheard him. But they were the only ones on the road.

"Incendio!" Harry said, and the letter burst into flames. Its ashes flew in the breeze.

"Potter! What were you thinking writing to him?" Draco demanded. "He's out for your blood! What are you doing setting up secret meetings with him for?!"

"I thought he'd have a change of heart."

Draco raised his brow. "What could possibly make him change his mind?"

"Well, I was thinking that maybe, because he was going to let me go that night, he'd be interested in talking to me."

Draco rolled his eyes. "He wants you dead. Even if he had felt like that, he's unhinged now."

Draco still found it strange that the Headmaster was behind the Potters' deaths. Why would he do that? He was supposed to be against the Dark Lord. Would he really orphan a baby?

"I still thought it would be worth a shot."

"This was what you had to wait to be out of school for, wasn't it? Sending letters? That's your big plan?"

"No," Harry said, a bit defensive. "I'll figure out a second plan soon."

"Well, whenever you do, tell me about it first. That way I can stop you from doing anything dumb."

They made it back to Hogwarts, and it was a relief when they entered the warm castle. Harry was headed upstairs, when Draco tossed something at him. Harry caught it; The small box of chocolates.

"Happy Valentine's!" Draco said, and then ran down to the dungeons.

Harry couldn't stop the smile forming on his face. He went up to his dormitory as quickly as he could, so that he could enjoy the chocolates, and tell Sirius all about his day.

__________
1163 Words