5

Harry had been locked up in his room for three days now. Petunia fed him three times a day, through a cat door Uncle Vernon had installed. The portions were abysmal, and it made Harry long for the days at Hogwarts, where he could eat as much as he wanted.

The Dursleys ignored him, which Harry saw as a bonus. His body was only just starting to feel better, and he did not want to go back to school black and blue. (Although if he did, then maybe Dumbledore would finally let him leave....)

Being ignored by the Dursleys also meant that Harry was free to do whatever he pleased in the confines of his room. So he exchanged letters with Draco, telling him about the strange dementor attack, possibly not returning to Hogwarts, and just stupid stuff that had nothing to do with what was happening at "home".

Draco's summer seemed to be much better than Harry could have imagined. He had visited France for the first two weeks of summer. Then he'd gone to two galas held by his friends' families, the Parkinsons and the Notts. For his birthday, his parents had given Draco a family heirloom (a ring with the Malfoy crest), sweets, and a new owl, Hector.
Draco told Harry not to worry, and that there was no way he wouldn't be allowed to return to Hogwarts.

Harry also sent a letter to Sirius telling that he was stuck at the Dursleys, and that he wanted to know what was going on. Something other than: "Don't leave. Dumbldeore has it covered."
He had yet to get a response.

≈•≈•≈•≈•≈≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈

On his fifth day of isolation, Harry was now positive he'd be stuck in his room at Privet Drive for the rest of the summer. Uncle Vernon unlocked Harry's door, and entered the room. Instinctively, Harry moved to the corner near his desk just in case.

"We're going out," Uncle Vernon said.

"Sorry?" Harry said.

"We- That is to say your aunt, Dudley, and I- Are going out."

Harry noticed the smug look on Vernon's face and the fancy suit he was wearing. "Oh."

"You are to stay in your room, until we get back."

"Fine."

"You are not to touch our food."

"Okay."

"You are not to go use the telly or the phone."

"Okay." Harry's bored tone seemed to make Vernon angry. The walrus just bristled and then stomped out of the room. "I'm locking your door."

"You do that." Harry said, now sitting on his bed.

Vernon slammed the door, and Harry heard the lock click into place, followed by two bolt locks and a chain sliding into place. Harry peered out his window to watch his relatives drive away. Then he laid on his bed and fell asleep.

Harry was woken up by a crash coming from downstairs. He put on his glasses and picked up his wand from his dresser, and then stood by his door. Burglars! Was his first thought.

Apparently his uncle and aunt thought the same, because Harry heard Vernon say, "I have a gun and I'm not afraid to use it!" as he went past Harry's room. Harry tried his door and found that it was unlocked. He opened it, and saw Dudley standing on the landing, looking shaken.

Downstairs, there was a bang! followed by Aunt Petunia's shriek. Dudley and Harry went down the stairs, just as Uncle Vernon shouted, "GET OUT OF MY HOUSE RIGHT NOW! THERE IS NO ONE BY THAT NAME HERE! GET OUT OR I WILL CALL THE POLICE! DO NOT POINT THAT THING AT MY WIFE!"