The Gift

I hadn't seen Luca in a few days, but I guessed he had gone back to London. I jumped at every noise, every car that pulled up, every man that I caught in my sight made me look twice.

The Shelby's knew something was a miss...especially Polly. After I had mentioned the word 'friend' to her, she never let me go to church alone, and always asked me if he was there...to which I obviously replied no, making myself look even more suspicious. She knew I had known Luca before the incident at the pub, I could have easily said it was him I had met, to discuss what I couldn't remember...but of course, I had to lie and make this entire situation all the more complicated.

My new dress had arrived and it was amazing, I had never owned anything like it...well...obviously. 

"You are beautiful Tessa...you really are."

She smiled at me from over my shoulder and moved my hair away from my face. I smiled lightly and enjoyed the moment.

There was a shuffle of feet in the hall downstairs, the boys were back

"Tess?" Tommy's voice sounded.

He did this in the evenings where he was home before it was dark. If I wasn't in the kitchen he would shout for me, sounding almost scared.

Polly laughed in my ear and moved away from the mirror.

"That boy has been out there doing all manner of horrible things...yet as soon as he walks through that door, he goes all soft for you Tess." She winked at me and I felt a blush rise in my cheeks.

I followed Polly downstairs and into the arms of Tommy. He kissed my head gently and smiled.

"You went for the blue dress then?" Tommy asked as we had all sat down around the table for a drink before the cars arrived to take us to London.

"Yes." I said taking a sip of water.

Tommy smiled widely. "I've wanted to be able to afford that for you for a while now."

"Well, things are looking up now." Polly smiled. "We won't need to worry about money if you boys carry on working so hard."

"Cheers to that." Arthur said.

There was a light knock on the door. John stood wiping his mouth. "I'll get it."

After a few seconds, John returned with some letters and a package wrapped in a black ribbon. "Late post." He said giving the letters out and then looking down at the package.

"It's for you Tess." He said with slight surprise.

"Me?" I asked nervously.

He nodded and passed me the parcel. As the rest of the Shelby's carried on drinking Tommy and Polly stared down at the parcel, waiting for me to open it.

As I did something blue flashed through the brown paper. A black note was on the top and I slowly opened this first.

A blue bag for a blue dress, see you soon. L.C