Stranger and the little bird.

The Birmingham air was filled with fumes as I walked down the cobbled street to god knows where. I wrapped my coat around my shoulders and allowed my feet to lead the way, this already felt like a bad idea. The world was a different place on 1920 and people knew I was associated with the Shelby's, this was a dangerous place for me but that didn't stop me walking, I wanted fresh air, but the Birmingham smog that hung over the dark streets was anything but fresh. 

As I walked people were looking at me and whispering to each other, a now common occurrence every time I left the house and as the sky grew darker with each passing second, with no street lights in sight, I knew I had to turn back. 

I sighed heavily and turned around, back around towards the house, this was a stupid idea. 

"Miss Bridie." A voice sounded from behind me. I turned quickly emerging from the fog was a man with a walking stick. He stood ominously in the fading light, a shillouette of someone I think I knew. 

"Yes?" I asked shakily. I didn't know this person...

"I haven't seen you in a while, has that cage Mr. Shelby has you trapped in gotten too small little bird?" 

I swallowed heavily and tried to make out the mans face. 

"I don't think that's an appropriate comment to make." I said trying to walk away.

"I need you to give a message to Mr. Shelby. He has been very illusive as of late."

I closed my eyes and sighed before turning around slowly once again, I just nodded, telling him to continue. 

"Tell him, Grace is in New York and is alive and well. Also, that even though I'm not assigned to his case anymore, I am still keeping a close eye on you all."

I shivered, my heart hammering in my chest.

I nodded again. He moved closer to me now and I could finally see his face. His features were drooping and sullen showing his obvious age and if that was not enough, his greying hair gave him away... 

Without warning he moved ones of his gloved hands to move my hair from my eyes, I flinched away as soon as his fingertips touched my cheek, and a shiver ran down my spine.

"I can see why he kept you around after his little...fling with Grace, it's a shame you stayed with him. A pretty thing like you could get any man you wanted." I just blinked at him, frozen to the spot like an idiot.

"He'll ruin you Miss. Bridie, I'd get out while you can." And with that he turned on his heel and disappeared down the street and into the darkness.

I turned quickly and began running back towards the house, my dress dragging me back and my shoes making me trip. 

"Fuck these shoes." I seethed to myself. before stopping to pull them from my feet to continue running from the stranger with the walking stick.