Chapter 17: Wise Words and Pompous Asses. [Edited]

Nathan Underhill.

A fake sword twirled in the air as I juggled it out of boredom. The Supreme, Joshua's mother, sat on a gray Victorian chair while she sipped tea from a teacup. Her feet were nestled under a multi-colored quilt on a footstool in front of her. The sound of the fire crackling filled the living room, accompanied by the musical humming of the Supreme. A song by Sia, the Greatest, no less. Who could have thought the old biddy would be a fan of hers?

Even though it was chilly outside, the heat inside the room became stifling hot. It didn't help that I wore leather armor as an outfit. Sweat began pooling along my forehead. I doubted that the deodorant I sprayed under my arms earlier could keep up with its job of keeping me from smelling fresh. What was keeping Joshua up? He was worse than a woman.

"Dear? Are you all right? You seem a wee bit stressed out," said the Supreme.

I turned my gaze on her and then placed the sword on my lap. She was right. Attending the party stressed me out. As the days passed and the party loomed nearer, my stress level shot through the roof. I couldn't shake the feeling that something bad was about to happen.

I rubbed the back of my head. "I'm nervous about the party. Large crowds make me nervous and they pose a potential situation that is outside of my control."

"You're afraid that something might happen. I've talked to my boy, and he told me about your reluctance to step into the wolf's den, so to speak."

I leaned back on the comfortable couch and ran my hand through the embroidered fabric. "Yeah. I'm taking an enormous risk. Werewolf packs in general don't like Graybacks and my secret hangs on a piece of metal." I touched the onyx stone necklace hanging from my neck. It had become a nervous tick of mine to touch and rub the stone, seeking its reassurance that it would keep my secret safe. Goddess! I didn't even want to think about what would happen if my secret got out.

The Supreme nodded and then said the words that ruffled my fur a bit. "You can't control life, Nathan. That's impossible. The secret about you being a hybrid and a Grayback will come to light eventually. It's not in your hands alone."

I leaned forward and ran my hands through my hair. Her words rang true (much to my annoyance), but I didn't want the truth to come out just yet and I wanted to avoid any further situations that might pose the opportunity for it to happen. The party was one of those. I wanted my mom and sister to have as much of a normal life as possible before my secret caused them more problems. It usually did.

But her next words gave me a bit of comfort.

"No matter what may happen in the future, know that no harm will befall you or your family while I'm around. I promised your mother that I'd keep you all safe. I owe her that much."

I ripped my eyes from my steel-covered boots and scanned her face. There was no hint of lies, but a solidified truth edged into her blue eyes that shined from behind her rimmed glasses.

I smiled and said, "Thank you, Supreme. I love my family with my entire soul, and the possibility that my secret might get them killed would break me."

"You don't need to thank me. Your mother is one of my most cherished friends. I'd do anything for her." She then smiled at me, washing away all of my fears.

Just then, Joshua came stumbling into the living room, wearing a white tunic with a dark brown robe. A gadget of sorts hung from his left hip.

I stood up from the couch and made my way to him. "What are you wearing?"

A shocked expression flitted across his face while he threw his arms wide open. "Come on! You can't be serious. I'm wearing a Jedi's costume, you idiot."