Chapter 22: Fuck my Life. [Edited]

Nathan Underhill.

Oh, come on! How could my life get any worse? I should have listened to my gut and kicked my guilty feelings' ass for falling for Joshua's puppy dog eyes. I'm not blaming him for dragging me there. Not even he could have guessed that the night would have turned out like this. On the one hand, I was facing off against an alpha, a beta, and his troop of enforcers. To make matters even thornier, the other hand came and slapped me with another group of potential enemies comprising another alpha and three betas to boot.

I wasn't sure what Adam and his friend's intentions were at this moment. Were they friends or foes? Fuck me! The odds of winning were slowly slipping from my paws.

"Aren't you going to comment on the situation we're in? Why are you so distracted all of a sudden?" I asked Fenrus.

"Oh, it's nothing... Can't a wolf just sit back and enjoy the view?"

"What are you—" My head snapped over to Adam's black wolf. "You dirty ol' shit. You're checking him out, aren't you? We're in a disastrous situation where we could get killed and you're ogling the enemy."

Fenrus huffed and said, "Who said Adam is our enemy? I talked to his wolf and they're not happy about the situation. Adam's talking to his dad, trying to help us."

"Yeah, well... stop fraternizing and get your head back into the game before we end up dead."

My gaze shifted toward my mom and sister. I really didn't care what happened to me, but my family... I couldn't let them come to harm. Gaining control of the situation was paramount.

"Joshua?" I called out to Joshua.

Joshua's head snapped to me. "Yes?"

"Is there a way for you to contact your mother? If she can help—"

A grin appeared on Joshua's face while his right hand flew into the air before I could finish my sentence. A pulse of red light shot into the air, lighting up the front yard in a red glow. Wailing shrieks echoed out into the darkness. All the werewolves' heads shot up into the night sky, probably wondering what the hell he just did.

The Alpha turned to Joshua and said, "Keep your mother out of this young man. This has nothing to do with her."

"As I said before, the Underhill family is a part of our coven." A smirk ran across Joshua's face. He was enjoying this. "If you harm them, my mother will see it as an act of war."

"We won't as long as this mutt," the Alpha pointed his finger at me," comes with us willingly and without picking a fight. He has to pay for attacking my pack."

The hell I was. I did nothing wrong! I immediately extended my mind-link to everyone present: fuck their privileged pack link. Several of the wolves whined and clamped their hands over their ears as I pushed my mind into theirs. I walked up to where my family stood and took up a defensive stand in front of the Alpha and Beta, blocking them off. The Alpha had to go through me to get to my family.

I then glared up at the Alpha. "My family isn't going anywhere with you, Alpha," I used his title as an insult. Gasps slipped from their mouths, probably shocked that I could communicate with them. "Go back to your pack and go play king on your shit heap."

The old man's eyes flashed red and his mouth twisted out of anger. He let out a thunderous roar that shook me to my bones. Me and my big mouth. He lunged forward, but I followed suit. My mom's cry echoed in my ears. But it was too late.

Blood rushed to my hind legs and my claws dug into the gravel, shooting forward. The Alpha tried to punch me, but I closed the gap too fast. His punch, aiming for my jaw, missed, but connected to my shoulder. A sickening crunch, accompanied by numbing pain shot throughout my body, but I held my pace and head-butted the old fuck in the chest. He flew backward until he hit one of their SUVs with a thud and screeching of tires. The scatter of glass overpowered their angry outcries. Five enforcers rushed forward, ready to avenge their alpha whose ass made a massive dent in the SUV's side door. However, a powerful roar from Adam halted them in their tracks. Adam came running up and shifted into his human form. So did Maisie, Riley, and Tyson.