Chapter 9: A Heart to Heart

Lawrence was already on his third glass since the three of them stationed near the far away lemonade stall, safe from the prying eyes of desperate debutantes and their even more desperate mothers. Leonardo Radcliffe, a young man with hair, a very peculiar shade of grey, and a cracking voice that still hinted of boyish adolescence, couldn't stop expressing his views on foreign trade. Edward had by far not the slightest of interest in the conversation. Fortunately, Lawrence was expressing enough acknowledgement for the both of them.

"...our own culture and tradition is so much more necessary, don't you agree Your Grace?" Leonardo's questioning tone interrupted Edward's scanning and he pulled his eyes back to the little triangle they had formed.

"Well, of course it is important, however my good old friend, Lord Benjamin here is far more learned in the said subject than me."

"You're too modest, Your Grace." Lawrence chuckled and started another thread of conversations with Radcliffe to save the Duke any unnecessary trouble.

The gate was far away from where they stood hence having a clear view was not possible despite of Edward's height, but he kept his eyes on every movement in the assembly.

The Radcliffe Luncheon was a crowded yet superior affair hence only the most recognized noble families were invited to the gathering. From what Edward could remember, the Sherbornes were of great regards and their rank was almost at par with the Radcliffes but he couldn't be the most certain. A personal invite to Miss Sherborne was hence sent this morning to ensure her presence that afternoon.

He needed an audience with the lady at the earliest.

There were many doubts and questions he couldn't seem to get rid of. Not that he had the slightest of interest in her, that was not the case at all. It was rather her unexplained behavior the previous evening that got to him.

The more he thought the lesser sense it made. There was only one explanation. It was all a show.

It most probably happened so, that she couldn't get a good view of his face in the dimness of light and failed to recognize him as the Duke. She took him as the Duke's close friend and no young debutante would want to get on the bad side of the dashing young Duke of Dales, all for nothing but some spilt wine. Which was why she made him promise to not tell the Duke about their encounter, so she could introduce herself smooth and spotless. A clean slate. No flaws.

Edward was amazed at the slyness of the women these days but it wasn't something he couldn't expect out of an intellectual lady like her. After all, a dukedom was at stake. There weren't any such limits one wouldn't cross for that kind of wealth.

Anyways, as the saying goes, all but in good time. Esther Sherborne's bubble of duchess-y dreams was about to burst open. Edward couldn't wait.

For some funny reason, the idea of destroying the evil conspiracy of fake gold-digging debutantes gave him immense pleasure. And the fact that she was no other than the woman his father thought suitable for him and their duchy made it all the more exciting. He was going to prove to his late father, his friend Lawrence, his sister and any other delusional human on the face of the earth that there was no such thing as a good woman, a suitable match, a successful marriage or a fated love when the man in question is a wealthy Duke.

In such circumstances, all that holds any significance at all is wealth.

You can either get rich or get loved. Both together is a rare luxury and Edward knew better than to expect such an unrealistic fate.

He was still fondling the half-full flute of lemonade in his fingers when his eyes fell on her. Her pale blue gown hugged her curves so perfectly allowing the most decent amount of bust to show at the start of its neckline it almost caused him to visualize some forbidden imagery.