Chapter 40: A Letter to Esther

Esther's room was a mess of crumpled papers when Lady Sherborne walked into it the next morning.

She was still in her red gown from yesternight but it was no more the same beautiful and elegant dress that earned her a compliment from a stranger the previous evening.

"My dear, what is this mess!" Lady Sherborne asked as she picked up the crumpled papers and brushed them straight to read the words in there. Esther was too indulged in her writing to listen or answer.

"What- no! You must not do this, Esther." She whispered hurriedly and pulled out the paper from under Esther's pen.

"Mother!" She cried as the paper tore into two, leaving one half on the desk and the other in Lady Sherborne's hand.

"You must not write to Florence. Mrs Lewis has forbidden it, please." Lady Sherborne said pulling the pen out of her fingers too.

Esther only pulled out another pen and paper and began writing the letter once again. "I must write to her, Mother. She cannot let Rebecca take away her man so easily. That woman doesn't even love Leo!"

"My dear, it's not your business to make a decision. If Mrs Lewis wishes peace for her daughter, let that be it."

"She is not in peace!" Esther cried crumbling another paper and throwing it across the room. "Had she been in peace she would've been here, next to me. She's heartbroken mother. If you do not let me go to her, I must write to her at least. She must come back before the wedding!"

"And what will she do? She's not the one to decide. Leo has made his decision."

"Leo is a coward! He has no say in the matter." Esther exclaimed and pushed herself out of the chair. "Florence will have to be the decision-maker. She isn't weak like this. She cannot be. I shall not let her lose to that cunning witch."

"Esther my dear, you need to calm yourself down." Lady Sherborne held her by both her shoulders. "We have a week, don't we? I will write to Florence. I will inform her of the happenings, but the decision of getting involved or not shall be hers to make."

Esther parted her lips to counter but failed to make a sensible argument.

"I shall send the letter today, alright?" Lady Sherborne promised in an assuring tone that compelled Esther to believe. "And while we are on the subject of letters, I have one directed to you as well."

"A letter for me?" Esther asked in curiosity. "Who is it from?"

"Ah, let me see again." Lady Sherborne spoke slowly as she pulled out the letter from a pocket of her nightdress. "It says, Lord Wordwitch I suppose. Funny name if you ask me-"

She had hardly finished her sentence when Esther flung the light green envelope out of her hands. "You must be joking, surely." She exclaimed with a joyful grin on her face while her hands were already working very gracefully on tearing the envelope to reach the letter in there.

"Oh and, this was also delivered for you. Quite a beautiful pair I must say." Lady Sherborne added extending a pair of very fine red gloves to her.

"Oh," Esther breathed feeling the fabric in her fingers. It was the exact same pair Jordan ruined with his ink yesterday. "This must have been Mr Jordan."

"They were both delivered by the same man, do you happen to know him?" Lady Sherborne asked.

"Really? That can't be-" Esther muttered under her breath as she unfolded the letter and began reading.

Dear Miss Sherborne,
I cannot be certain if this letter will reach you in good health and joy, for you looked quite upset this evening as you left the garden however I must write to you now as I shall have no time better than this, I'm afraid.