Chapter 47: Sherbornes In Buckingham

Esther wrote two letters that night however her mother only discovered one in her room the next morning. It was short and precise.

Dear mother, 
I wish you all the love and health in the world.
I am leaving for Buckingham and only intend to return with Florence. 

Wish me success. 
Yours affectionately.

Do not send men behind me, for I will have long gone by the time you discover this. 
Again, wish me luck.
Yours.

Lady Sherborne hit the floor soon as she found the letter and despite her daughter's clear admonition, she sent men behind her immediately. In carriages, three of them. 

Neither Nathanial, her son nor her husband, Lord Sherborne was in town and now with Esther gone too, she was the only Sherborne left in London. Buckingham however was blessed with enough Sherbornes as well as other remarkable personalities owing to the Royal assembly that happened a day ago. Esther was worried about crossing paths with her father however once she had a look at the state of the city, she knew she had nothing to stress over.

The markets were flooded by men, servants, footmen, butlers and Lords themselves. All in the irrevocable pressure of ensuring that all that their ladies have asked for was being bought. The streets and corners were lined by craftsmen and artists of all sorts. Buckingham was a city of great inspiration for art and poetry, especially with all those people flooding the shops. 

The most rushed however were the shops that sold diamonds and jewels. With the season at its maturity, gentlemen were all motivated to put all they could into winning the hearts of their beloved ladies and the only ones benefitting from that were the diamond vendors. After all, a proposal without a ring was like a ballet without an orchestra. Absolutely horrendously tasteless.

This was primarily why Edward had stepped into a place that sold aesthetic and glittery women's accessories for the first time in his life. Leonardo Radcliffe, even though a lover, was yet not brave enough to man up and buy a ring for his love. Edward gladly, although not so much, became his chaperone for the diamond hunt.

They had decided to meet at the jeweller's this morning, however, Edward had already been a few long minutes in the shop and Leo was nowhere to be seen. Edward only wished he had not chickened out for he would not know what else to do for the man's encouragement anymore.

He always thought love, if at all it was real, would be powerful enough to give man the courage to put a dagger in his own heart. That was how it was always portrayed in poetry and literature, not that he could use such argument in his advocacy of love, for of the many mysteries of the notorious Duke of Dales, the fact that he was an avid reader was among the darkest and most unspeakable ones.

He walked into the crowded boutique, marvelous stones were on display.

He had never in his past considered buying a diamond for someone. He lost his mother too early and his sister was never big on gifts for she knew he was not the biggest at expressing his emotions. But now with the range of beautiful finger rings and necklaces laid out in his front, he couldn't help but picture sliding one into Esther's delicate finger.

She was delicate, he knew of it because he had very brazenly allowed himself to lock his fingers around her wrist and on multiple occasions no less. and every time he did, it only became more difficult to let go. That was another reason why she hated him and would never allow him near her fingers with a ring.

"Esther will never allow you near her finger with that ring." A heavy voice startled him and he took a step back in alarm.

"Nathaniel!" Edward said as he took note of the man of the voice.