Chapter 56: The True Duke of Dales

Esther had forgotten to ask Edward about his thoughts on how they were to tell the Londoners his true identity before they'd say their marriage vows tomorrow, she realised when Nate mentioned why he had to stop in Buckingham the previous week when he had intended to return to London directly.

"I see your mission is accomplished," Nate had said to Esther after sending Edward off to the other end of the garden.

Florence and Leo curtsied as their dance came to an end. The garden was filled with claps of joy and congratulations and as the orchestra hit its next note, the dance floor was opened to all the desperately waiting attendees. Most of them were now married or engaged to wed very soon, hence one could see men with their eyes on one lady who they danced with and women were no longer seen batting their eyes and swooning to keep their partners engaged.

It was a dance floor filled with love and the ambience was ecstatic, to say the least.

"My mission?" Esther had asked without putting much thought into it, she was too mesmerized by the picture of herself in her head, dancing with Edward among the other couples had Nate not sent him away by his uninvited interruption.

"Well, yes, the one that made you flee towns and land in Buckingham like a fugitive." He did not forget to nod toward their mother as he had spoken the last word.

"Oh, if love is a crime," Esther had replied dramatically and they both burst into a small round of happy giggles.

"Well, it is," Nate replied without a hint of humour in his tone. "But so is stressing your brother out by disappearing from your room early in the morning before the sun, and that only days after your big escapade. I almost assumed you ran away, again." 

Esther giggled at his exaggeration although he looked quite serious, which of course only made it funnier. 

"Not that funny, if you ask me," Nate noted with a straight face. 

"Funny nevertheless. Well, I was only out for- for a walk. No escapades of such sorts." Esther replied assuringly, "Besides, why will I run away now, my mission is accomplished remember?" 

"Why, I do not know sister, maybe the thought of marriage turned too overwhelming, you of all people after all!" It seemed Nathaniel had put a lot of thought into the matter while Esther was out and away that morning. Of course, she was not just out for a walk, she was too tired to be promenading when she could rather be asleep in her warm and cosy bed, the one that she was to soon leave behind for a new one. But she couldn't tell him where she really went, it was better that way.

"Brother, I am adequately happy and if you must ask, convinced, with my marriage plans, thank you. We shall not witness any running away." Esther spoke with utmost confidence, it was quite a surprise to her own ears. Perhaps, she really was certain of it all.

"I wish not," Nate muttered. "But seriously, where did you go?"

"Last week?" Esther inquired with puzzled eyes. 

"No, this morning. I am assuming you only visited Buckingham and returned right back last week, I hope so is the case." 

"Of course," Esther replied to his overly-protective-brother-behaviour with an eye roll but looked away before answering his other question, "As I said, Nate, I was only walking." 

Nate did not reply for a while. "You are aware that you can talk to me if you need an ear, yes?" 

"Why, of course, sir! I am alright, believe me?" 

"I shall try, I am only a little concerned." He really was, Esther realised as she looked into his fun-loving eyes that now seemed to carry blurred thoughts.