Chapter 17: A Pact for A Pact

Edward knew better than to follow a lady alone to an unknown place. Even more, when the lady clearly did not want his presence around her although it was difficult to withstand, as never in his past had he encountered a woman having such sentiments towards him.

Nevertheless, he was already walking after her. He turned his head around to find Lawrence, who had walked ahead to indulge Miss Frampton in a rather interesting conversation, it seemed. The escape was safe, no eyes were on him.

The spiral staircase led to an open terrace lined by stoned balustrade that had multiple cracks on various places. It looked old and worn out, ever so much that one might think it would fall if leaned on.

Across the entire span of the stoned floor stood Esther, not too far away from the edge. She seemed upset and Edward knew she would not be any happier to see him but he was already walking towards her.

"You shouldn't have followed me here." She spoke plainly, without turning to face him. "You can still go back before someone finds us together, please."

"I'm only returning your favor Miss Sherborne. Had you not followed me to that dark gallery, I wouldn't have any reasons to follow you here. But it cannot be helped anymore, the circumstances are compelling." Edward replied smartly.

He'd expected her to bash at him for his immature joke but she was clearly, to his dismay, avoiding such empty conversations, or any conversation at all, in that matter.

Esther turned around slowly with an extremely confounded expression on her face. Edward was however more focused on the scattered freckles on her cheeks that stood out ever so beautifully in the day light.

"Alright." She said with heightened eyebrows, "I accept your accusations and I convey my most sincere apologies. Now, please find your way back to the drawing room."

"I shall. Once I'm done talking."

"There is no matter for us to talk of."

"I sent a letter your way and if you've read it, which I'm certain you did, we definitely have a lot to talk about. Starting with, you must give me your word that you will keep the secrecy of our matters."

Esther stared into his eyes intensely for a moment before speaking, "I have no matters with you, to begin with."

She started walking away when Edward blocked her path with his hand extended in her front. "I'm serious, Miss Sherborne."

She gave his eyes another intense scrutiny before bursting into hollow chuckles. "Unbelievable, you. You are roaming the streets of London in someone else's stead in broad day light, fooling the people of the ton, fooling my family, my friends, my cousin, her family, everyone and you expect me to assist you? Give you my word? What do I owe you for you to demand such illegitimate favor of me?"

Edward licked his lips in anxiety and even more in disbelief on her confidence. "Miss Sherborne, I believe I've very clearly explained the seriousness of the matter to you."

"Very much." She replied, still looking into his eyes while her hands folded themselves on her chest, "Which is why I very sincerely request you to not block my path or follow me to secluded places again or I shall find myself compelled to disclose such confidential information to random people."

Edward did not move out of her way, however the corner of his lips mounted up into a naughty smirk. One that Esther did not appreciate at all. "I must confess Miss Sherborne, you acting immature like a child is very adorable and seductive even to a man such as me but this is a rather sensitive matter, for me, for the duke of Dales and his Duchy and I must demand your solemnity."