Chapter 61

The Gall of Gammon

Disclaimer: This story is my humble attempt to write a fanfiction of the epic Mahabharata. My intention is not to hurt anyone's sentiment.

Aum Namah Shivay!!

Major Jayant Roy, SM is a fictitious character. Any similarity with any living person is merely a coincidence.

Chapter 61

Kampilya, Southern Panchal, Dwapar Yuga

Arjun POV

I was standing alone in the huge garden of the Palace of Maharaja Drupad, thinking deeply. My mind was literally crushing down by the heavy weight of my thoughts.

"Share the alms that you've bought home." My mother's voice was still echoing in my ears.

. At that time, we really faced a grave moral dilemma. Then I remembered the words of my Jyesth Bhrata.

"Arjun, you won her. Before it goes way out of hand, marry her."

But how could I marry her while Bhrata Yudhisthir was still unmarried? That was not Kshatriya Dharma! According to Dharma, first Bhrata Yudhisthir had to marry first, then Bhrata Bheem, then me. After me, the twins would be married then.

Bhrata Yudhisthir understood my dilemma. Then I saw him looking at my other brothers. I saw their faces, and understood the feelings in their heart. I saw Panchali gazing back at all of us.

Then I heard the voice of Bhrata Yudhisthir.

"Mata has already shown us the way. It was like Narayana himself spoke through her lips. She said to share the princess equally amongst us. It is obvious that all of us love Panchali. Let her not divide us, but bind us forever."

Jyesth looked at Mata, who nodded in silent agreement.

Then I heard a cough from the door. I turned my eyes and found myself captured into a pair of lotus like eyes. They belonged to none other than Vasudev Krishna. In his lips, there was a calm but knowing smile. Behind him, I saw Halayudha, with a smile in his lips too.

The dark one came and touched my mother's feet. Balrama came inside and touched her feet too. Mata was very happy after seeing her nephews.

But we didn't know that Dhristadyumnya was silently following us. He heard everything and went to his father. At that night, Madhav and Dau Balrama stayed with us.

The next day morning, all of us went to the royal palace. We gave our real identity to the king. Maharaja Drupad was way upset because his daughter was going to marry the five of us. Then Maharishi Veda Vyasa arrived there. Maharaja Drupad was visibly relieved by his presence.

Then the Maharishi told us the story of the past life of the Princess. She was born as the daughter of a great Rishi, but for some reason, she could not find a husband. So, she did hard penance of Mahadev. Mahadev was pleased by her devotion and came in front of her. The girl was so desperate, she asked for a husband five times. So, Mahadev grant her a boon of five husbands

"Drupad, recent customs does not allow it, but in the ancient and noble time, this was the proper custom. Maharishi Jatila's daughter had seven husbands. All of them were holy men, none of them were sinners."

Drupad did not object again, but humbly accepted the fate.

"Who am I to defy the will of Mahadev? You five will marry her with honour."

The suitable day for the marriage came after fifteen days. Today was that day when we will marry the celestial born princess of Panchal, Rajkumari Draupadi.