Chapter 39

The Gall of Gammon

Disclaimer: This story is my humble attempt to write a fanfiction of the epic Mahabharata. My intention is not to hurt anyone's sentiment.

Aum Namah Shivay!!

Major Jayant Roy, SM is a fictitious character. Any similarity with any living person is merely a coincidence.

Chapter 39

Jungle outside of Kampilya City, Panchal, Dwapar Yuga

Karna POV

"The Chakra Vyuha!"

The thoughts of all of us came from Arjun's lips. They were all shockingly looking at the Vyuha, except me. I was looking at my Mitra, who was still watching the enemy like an eagle stalking his prey.

"Can he see the future?" I thought in my mind.

When we first started training together, he asked me about my knowledge of Chakra Vyuha. I didn't know how to penetrate it. Sage Parashurama hadn't taught me that. After knowing it, he requested Ashwatthama to teach me how to penetrate the Chakra. Later, Drona putra told me that he was not eager to learn the art of Chakra Vyuha, because some shashtras mentioned that this Vyuha could only be formed while fighting with non-human enemies, like Rakshasha or Asura. It was Duryodhana who literally persuaded him to learn it.

I remembered his words which he had said to me just before leaving Hastinapur for this war.

"Remember, Karna, a warrior mustn't have ego within him. Ego comes from lack of self-confidence. A warrior must have self-confidence, but a thin line separates ego and self confidence. One should always remember that his ego always suppress his ability. You must always remember it."

I heaved a sigh. Was my mind full of ego? Was I a person who always behaved egoistically?

My mind was divided into two parts now.

"Angraaj Karna, is your mind full of jealousy towards Arjun?"

"No, I am not jealous of him. But I am proud of my ability. But the only way the world would recognise it if I can defeat Arjun."

"Are you so sure about it?"

"Yes, I am sure. The society of Kshatriya always mocked me as a sutputra. They refused to acknowledge my ability. Now it's time to show them what this sutputra can achieve with a bow."

"But you are a Kshatriya too, Radheya Karna."

"I am a sutputra. I am son of Adhirath and Radha, this is my only identity."

Duryodhana's voice broke my trance and pulled me back into reality.

"Nakul, climb on a tree and check the number of circles in the Vyuha, quick. We don't have much time."

Nakul quickly dismounted his horse and climbed on a huge tree. In a few moments, he reached to the top of the tree. From there, he signalled us by showing five fingers. That means, there were five circles in the Vyuha. Nakul quickly climbed down from the tree.

"Bhrata Duryodhana, there were only foot soldiers, horses and chariots, no elephants in the Vyuha." He said.

"Hmm...Drupad underestimated our numbers. Ok, Karna, Arjun, both of you come here."

We both quickly came in front of him.

"Arjun, Acharya taught you how to penetrate the Chakra Vyuha. Karna, Ashwatthama taught you too. Now hear my plan, and then give your opinion."