Chapter 26

The Gall of Gammon

Disclaimer: This story is my humble attempt to write a fanfiction of the epic Mahabharata. My intention is not to hurt anyone's sentiment.

Aum Namah Shivay!!

Major Jayant Roy, SM is a fictitious character. Any similarity with any living person is merely a coincidence.

Chapter 26

Hastinapur, Dwapar Yuga

Kripacharya POV

Seven days had been passed after that fateful incident. The next day of that yagnya, Aryaka left Hastinapur. Before leaving, he met with the king, Mahamahim Bhishma, Dronacharya and me. He didn't have any malice inside him. Maharaja Dhritarashtra also apologized to him. With the blessings of Sri Vishnu, the danger on Hastinapur was averted.

Duryodhana's behaviour also changed from that day. He now spent a lot of time in the Shiva temple, worshipping and meditating. I didn't know, but it seemed to me that he was at war with himself. When I heard the chanting of mantras from the temple by him, it felt like...what I could say; he was trying to break free from something. Rishiputra also noticed that too.

I had seen a lot of change in Rishiputra too. He became too quiet after coming here. It was like he was burning in a fire inside him. I thought sometimes to talk to him, but couldn't master the courage. Sometimes, I saw him talking to the Rajkumars. He grew pretty fond to all of them. But, when he saw Arjun, I had noticed an unknown glow in his face. But, I felt that Duryodhana was a little angry with him, probably because of his refusal to teach his sutputra friend. But he respected him that I could understand. He also loved Kripi and Ashwatthama a lot. I had to admit, that I didn't see a more complex character like him. Even, Shakuni was not as complex as him.

I heaved a sigh. The more days were passing; the situation was becoming way more complex. The Kauravas and the Pandavas still had some tensions between them. But, there was still a ray of hope. I saw that young Duryodhana was extremely fond of little Sahdeva. I saw both of them talking many times in those past seven days.

The seven days, the whole palace was anxiously waiting for Bheem. If Aryaka was right, then, today was the day when he would come back. Maharaja Dhritarashtra would himself go to receive him, on the bank of River Ganga. Maharani Kunti, Gandhari, Bhishma and me would accompany them. Tomorrow, they would go to the gurukul of Rishiputra.

We all went to the riverbank, and after waiting for a moment, we saw Bheem coming out from the water. Aryaka was with him too. When Bheem saw us, his face literally glowed with joy. Before coming to us, he touched Aryaka's feet. Aryaka blessed him wholeheartedly.

"Remember, putra, your strength is not for flaunting. You are a Kshatriya. You must use your strength to fulfil your Dharma. Don't you ever forget that?"

Bheem nodded affirmatively. Then he literally ran towards his mother. Maharani Kunti also ran towards her son. Both mother and son hugged each other tightly. Devi Kunti was crying. Bheem was crying too. The reunion of both mother and son was a heart warming scene.

"Putra Bheem! Do you know how much you scared me? Those seven days, I live with constant fear." Kunti's voice was chocked with tears.

"I am here now, Matashri. Please don't cry!" Bheem said in a teary voiced too. Then he looked at her side, and asked,

"Where are my brothers, Matashri?"

"They are waiting for you in the palace. They wanted to come, but I ordered them to stay there. Now, we will go there." Maharani Kunti paused for a moment. Then, suddenly, her voice became hard.