CHAPTER 5 : DISGUISED IN MISERY

"So, you're the so-called wealthy businessman, Darsh Sinha?" My father enquired with wrinkled brows. To which Darsh replied while stuttering, "Y-yes, Sir."

I brought Darsh to my house the same night since I knew my parents would slaughter me if I appeared in front of them without conclusive evidence after the false news circulated. He served as a shield between my parents and me.

I urged him to construct a storyline about how we could get out of this dilemma and proclaim our wedding to my parents. It was a contract marriage, but we chose to keep it hidden from my family since they were too conservative to accept it.

Darsh swallowed, awkwardly seated on our living room couch, peering at my father. Uncle Hemant was striving desperately not to laugh as he watched Darsh getting terrified of my father.

"Where do you live?" With each query, my father's tone rose more acrimonious. My mother only glared at Darsh as the cops scrutinised their suspect.

"I live in Delhi," Darsh responded.

"How did the two of you meet?" Darsh flashed me a diagonal glance at that question.

"We met online, papa." I reacted instantly.

"Have I spoken to you? Talk only when you're asked!" Papa chastised me.

"All right, Papa," I replied, lowering my head. His attention shifted back to Darsh again.

"Where were we? Yes.

What were you two doing alone in the hotel suite?"

I already saw this question coming. I noticed Darsh struggling, but I was helpless as I was not allowed to talk. Darsh, please don't mess up!

I prayed fervently in my mind.

Darsh, on the other hand, inhaled deeply, and his usual expression started to return.

"Khushi's uniform was ripped off accidentally. She needed to change as fast as possible to get to the changing room.

I offered her to change into my clothing because I was staying in that hotel at the time."

Darsh's statement made my family observe my shirt and trousers, which were Darsh's.

Somehow, I forgot to change it. I am an Idiot! 

I forced an uncomfortable grin at my parents, but it didn't seem to work on them.

"Unfortunately, the journalists seemed to have obtained inaccurate information, and the misleading news spread."

"But don't worry; I have prevented the news from circulating any further in an hour."

Has he already stopped the news from spreading?

My father didn't object, but it was apparent that he didn't fully trust Darsh's answer. However, He moved on to the next question, "But many people, including my relatives, have already seen it.

They've been calling me since the news was released. And I'm not sure how to respond.

My daughter is getting considered from a red-light area by the entire city. What will you do about it?"

My father dropped his eyes. He looked so hurt, so upset. And it broke my heart because I was the reason.

At the time, I severely regretted my decision. The mess would not have happened if I hadn't worried about that meaningless autograph.

"This is not only your daughter's reputation but also the reputation of the woman and her family, whom I cherish above everything." Darsh unexpectedly piped up, reassuring my father. "I promise to put an end to the rumours as quickly as possible!"