Epilogue 2 | The Empress

Today would be the last day that the Leroys would spend in the Keraton. The four of them were to set out on a tour around Praja, starting with Nusa Dewata, where Gigi and Cal would resume a real honeymoon. Cendana, her third brother, would go with them, as their guide.

But Gigi had one last important task. She dressed in a kebaya the shade of a Leroy green, with a big overskirt made of Anglese satin, pertaining to the slenderness of the silhouette, without lacking the fullness of a ball gown. She also put on her peacock crown, the one that belonged to Orianne, which Cal had given her on the banquet night.

She had dispatched a few private investigators around Praja, to learn if her homeland wasn't the nirvana she thought it was. But first, she needed to clear one thing up once and for all. And to do it, she had to dress the part.

With her head held high, she marched into the foyer, the place she knew her father would be present after breakfast.

"Oh, Gianita," the King smiled upon her arrival. "Cal just came to bid me goodbye, I hope you'll have a pleasant trip. Did you forget something?"

There was no point to go around in circles.

"Do you love him?"

The King was flummoxed. "Who?"

"Cal," she clarified. "Do you really love him as your son... or son-in-law, whatever title you might prefer."

"What brings you to ask this?"

"I saw your letters, all of them. Enough to give me the impression that I and my husband are just pawns in your big plan. Though my final judgement relies on what you have to say."

Her mother glanced at both of them with concern, looking anxious at the side. She knew something.

The King gave it a thought, but as he was about to answer he stopped and changed his mind. "Fine, I sent those letters because I planned these things to happen exactly as they did. But is that a bad thing? We'll become stronger with Angletonia, and we might be able to rebuild Mahawijaya once more."

Gigi snorted. "All of this for a dead empire?"

"It's not a dead empire. And does it make any difference? I'm sure he also had some motives in marrying you."

"Even marrying for benefits has to fall inside the borders of decency! The question is, are you? What happens when he no longer benefits you?"

The King shrugged. "I love him." He added as she cast a cynical look, "As I do you."

"You sold me to a stranger!"

"And look what it did for you!" The King's gaze softened, running the back of his fingers along her cheek. "I made you do what's best for you, my daughter. Everything I did was for your sake."

Gigi had made herself. She worked hard to become a good empress. It was her own efforts that made Cal and her see each other. They fought together for their marriage.

Blinking back her pain and sorrow, hoping that there could be a hint of regret in which she could pardon him, Gigi stated her next question. "Did you know about his... past?"

"Of course I did," the King scoffed. "It's my job to know!"

"Yet you neglected to tell me. We hurt each other because of it."

"And you came out triumphant! See, these things, these trials are necessary!"

Not a single attempt at repentance. No remorse. He had made it all too easy.

The Queen froze in her seat, her eyes kept shut, knowing how this conversation would end. And yet it didn't bring her to interfere.

"But you will not— you cannot back down from this, Gi. Because if you do, not only Praja would suffer, but you will lose Leroy."

The Empress gritted her teeth.

"I am Leroy."

Casting one last look at her father, Gigi strode out of the foyer, her long emerald train sweeping behind her as the other members of the court dropped to their knees on her way out.

"Don't you dare turn your back on me, Gianita, you're my daughter!" Her father's voice continued to echo, but she never stopped to look back. "Gianita, come back! Gianita!"

"Gianita!"

.·。.·゜·༺♥༻ ·゜·。.