Chapter 6: Peyton

"Okay, I am so sick of this. Just give me the crutches." I hated to sound demanding, but not being able to move on my own was getting annoying.

"Peyton, the doctor—"

"I don't give a crap about the doctor. He's thousands of miles away; he probably doesn't give a crap about me either. I don't understand what's so much worse about using crutches. It's not like I'm putting any weight on my bad foot."

Eli looked stung. "I'm sorry," he muttered. He picked up the set of crutches from where they were lying on the ground. Justin had brought them downstairs the night before. He'd forgotten he left them in the plane.

"Thank you." I took them gratefully, propping them up underneath my arms. Finally, I was able to stand without his help. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to get so angry."

"It's fine." He smiled like nothing had happened. "I know how independent you like to be," he joked.

I chuckled. The dull ache in my ankle had finally started to subside, making everything so much easier. The doctor had told me to use the wheelchair for at least a week or two, but I didn't see any need to use it for longer than I had to. I would understand if my ankle was constantly in pain, but other than that, I didn't see a reason to use it.

"You know," Eli said. I met his eyes expectantly. "He asked you to use the wheelchair so you could keep your foot elevated."

I punched his shoulder playfully. "Come on, you know I gave that up after like twenty-four hours."

He rolled his eyes. "I'm just saying, he went to school longer than you and I ever will. Don't you think he would know better than you? Or me for that matter?"

"It's my body," I argued.

"You're so stubborn."

"I know."

Then he grinned and started tickling me. My surprised laughter echoed throughout the room. I was lucky I was so close to the bed because I fell backwards as my crutches fell to the floor.

I didn't know if he was just catching me in all the right places or if I was simply enjoying the moment. I tried not to punch him as he tickled me. Part of me wanted this to be over right this second, but part of me never wanted it to stop.

He pushed me back farther onto the mattress, pausing so I could catch my breath. "Eli," I whispered. My words caught in my throat. He was nearly on top of me.

I caught the slightest tint of pink in his tan cheeks before he attacked me again. I was laughing until he lost his balance and fell to my right. I yelped as he landed on my cast before quickly collecting myself. He stopped instantly, standing up. His eyes shone with worry as I lifted myself up on my arms.

"I'm so sorry. Are you okay? I shouldn't have done that."

I put my hand on his shoulder. "It's all right. It didn't truly hurt me."

"But it did cause you some pain. I don't want to cause you pain, Peyton." He didn't meet my eyes. I took initiative and pulled him closer to me.

"You've caused me more pain than anyone in my entire life. But you've also given me more joy than anyone in the world could ever give." I brushed my hand along his cheek. "I love you. And that inevitably means we'll hurt each other multiple times, but no amount of pain could make me stop loving you."

He just took my wrist in his fingers, moving my hand so it rested on his shoulder. "I don't want to cause you pain though."

I sighed. "Are you okay? You don't seem like yourself today."