Chapter 21: Eli

Skye was seated in a wooden chair. Her hands were cuffed in her lap, and her feet were tied to the legs of the chair. A polygraph machine sat on the table beside her. The machine was hooked to her fingers, chest, torso, and upper arm. Justin and Liz sat at the table with the laptop in front of them, ready to interpret her answers. Micaiah stood behind her, doing the best he could to suppress her ability while Reese stood beside Justin to protect his mind from Skye. Peyton, Luke, Daniel, and I were seated in similar wooden chairs against the far wall.

I folded my hands in my lap, twisting my fingers together nervously. I wasn't sure how I wanted this to go. On one hand, I was partially terrified that we were going to be right, and she had been working for Red Shield beneath our noses. As a freaking government organization, I felt like the CCSA should have been able to figure this out sooner. It wasn't like Skye had been great at hiding her involvement. If she had been working for Red Shield all along, that meant we could have easily prevented most of the casualties we had suffered so far.

On the other hand, I was hoping that we were right. If she had been the missing link between us and Red Shield, then that meant getting rid of her would prevent them from continuing to sabotage us. It may even buy us time to stay hidden from the public eye, because they would have no way to find us without her feeding them information.

Justin cleared his throat. "Okay Skye. Let's make sure this is working. Please state your full name and age."

"Skye Marina Pelzer," she answered grudgingly. "I'm sixteen." Her expression was blank, but her tone was still teeming with anger.

"Good. Now your date and location of birth, please."

"April 17, 2008, in Cherokee, North Carolina."

My hands continued to twist nervously. This was about to get real, and very quickly. In moments, we would know for sure whether Skye was truly the traitor we suspected her to be.

Justin exhaled. "Now that we've established that the machine is hooked up correctly, we're going to begin the interrogation. Keep in mind you always have the right to remain silent. However, there are alternate methods in place should you choose to lie or refuse to respond for an extended period of time. Skye, is this your phone?" He held the flip phone up.

"Yes," she replied. "But—"

"Hold on," Justin interrupted. "I am directing the conversation here. Did you acquire this phone after arriving in Florida?"

"No!" she snapped. "It was my cellphone before, when I was living in North Carolina."

A troubled expression crossed his face. "Skye, you're hooked up to a lie detector. You do realize that means we can tell when you aren't telling the truth, right? Because that was a blatant lie."

She pressed her lips together, refusing to answer him. I glanced at Reese and Micaiah. Both were still doing their job. I could tell by the way their eyebrows were drawn together.

"Let's try this again. Skye, did you acquire this phone after arriving in Florida?" he repeated.

"Yes."

"Was this phone acquired from an affiliate of Red Shield?"

"Yes."

I knew that Justin had gone through the phone before he hooked Skye up, but he never told us his findings. I wondered if he already knew the answers to all the questions he was asking.

"Who gave you this phone, Skye?"

"Matthew Clayson."

"And what position does Mr. Clayson hold in Red Shield?"