Chapter 17: Luke

Two hours earlier

We were instructed to free both camps at 11:00 PM, so I knew Peyton and Eli were waiting outside of Blue Lake just like I was here. Dawson had just gone inside in an attempt to assassinate the blonde woman. Colin had followed so he could alter the coding in the attendants' chips just like he had in Apopka.

They said they would radio us when it was time to send in Sierra, who had the same ability as Eli. Colin was going to meet up with her so that she could impersonate the camp director and call a meeting like Eli had in Apopka. That's the cue I was expecting when my walkie-talkie buzzed.

Instead, he sounded worried. "There's something wrong here. The guards let me in, but I don't know if it was because of my ability. Their minds seemed to resist it."

I looked to Liz and Daniel, expecting them to give me some kind of direction. Maybe Colin was being paranoid, but that was unlike him. Liz took her own walkie-talkie out of her pocket. "Keep going," she answered. "We'll stick to the plan unless something changes."

A few minutes later, he told us to send Sierra in. Liz walked her to the gate, just far enough so that she could use her ability to get her past the guards. When she returned, I could see the look of concern on her face even in the dim moonlight.

"Colin's right. There's something off."

"What do you want to do?" I asked her.

"Well, we can't call it off. There haven't been any real signs of danger yet. I think the only thing we can do is just stick—" A series of shots interrupted her. "Okay screw that. We're all going in."

I exchanged a panicked glance with Daniel before we both took off toward the gates. Everyone else followed close behind. "Do not leave my side. If we're in danger, I'll grab you so that my ability covers both of us," he said breathlessly. I nodded, though I doubted he could see me.

The guards let us in thanks to Liz, but the inside of the camp was already pure chaos. Flames leaped on the far side of the camp, and smoke was already obscuring my view. Bodies of the attendants laid in front of the cells, but there were still people shooting at us and the kids. Daniel took my hand, dragging me down into a crouch behind the nearest cell.

"I thought the officers were in a meeting!" he exclaimed. I couldn't see his form beside me, but he was still holding my hand tightly.

"There's no way Sierra had enough time to make it all the way up there," I gasped. "What do we do?"

"Collect as many kids as we can and run." And with that, he let go of me as we stood. I could see him again, but that meant everyone else could too.

Adrenaline was surging through my body, preventing fear from lodging itself in my throat. Daniel started yelling at kids as he sprinted toward the South Gate, which was where we'd parked the buses outside.

A shot fired, and I felt something warm pool on my left bicep. I yelped, knowing that there was now a piece of metal lodged in my arm. The officer who'd shot me was just in front of us, and his gun was still trained on me.

"Daniel, get down!" I screamed as loud as I could. I used my good arm to pull him to the ground. The officer's bullet fired into thin air.

He was panting beside me. "What happened? Were you shot?"

"Yes! Keep your ability on us, and we need to get out of here. I don't mean to sound rude but forget the kids. This is every man for himself."

He blew out a breath and stood as much as he could. Kids were starting to escape their cells, and dozens of feet had nearly trampled us. He took my right hand, pulling me up beside him. "Do not let go of me." I nodded, and we took off.