Chapter 29

It's been two days, finally Monday, and Emerson was nervous about going to school to see Lucas.

Even though they're aware that nothing changed, just the fact they both know they like each other. But the fact alone made Emerson jittery about seeing her.

They sighed before leaving their room and waiting in the living for Lucas. After a couple of seconds, they heard a car honking. Their heartbeat got faster, was this how it felt when you know for sure both of your feelings are reciprocated?

Their heartfelt as if it was ready to leap out of their chest any second now. They slung their backpack over their shoulder and left the house, walking towards the car nervously, making sure it wasn't noticeable.

"Hi, darling," Lucas said with a smile, as Emerson put on their seatbelt.

"Hey," Emerson said shakily, praying they don't start stammering.

Lucas started driving, Emerson's hand was shaking out of nervousness, at this point they're certain Lucas can hear their heartbeat loudly.

Almost as if Lucas can tell Emerson was anxious, one hand was in the steering wheel, while the other grabbed Emerson's hand placed it on the gear stick and put her hand on top of Emerson's hand.

Emerson sighed, realizing nothing changed, they're still friends, who just so happen to know they like each other, and that's it.

"If it makes you feel any better, I'm nervous too" Lucas suddenly said, and as much as Emerson didn't want to admit it, they genuinely couldn't tell.

They assumed that he thought this whole situation was normal.

"Oh, you are? Er... Cool, so-" Emerson was cut off by Lucas laughing. "You're so cute" Emerson rolled their eyes at her.

"Shut up, you're annoying," Emerson said and Lucas smiled. "See, nothing to be nervous about, just be yourself, love," Lucas said, they pulled up to the school, trying to find an empty parking lot as Emerson was overly flustered.

"First sugar, then darling, now love? Stick with one" Emerson said with an annoyed tone but they liked all the nicknames and Lucas knew that too.

"I choose all of them, I can use them unexpectedly" Lucas claimed, and Emerson sighed in distraught. Lucas found an empty parking space and turned off the motor.

"Yeah, I guess. I can call you pendejo" (stupid) Emerson said as they both left the car.

"No, because I actually know what that means. I saw a video of this guy saying something like and I quote, 'you know what the homies call me in the streets b? They call me pendejo... Pendejo. I don't know what that shit means, but that shit sounds tough' and then I googled it and it meant stupid." (Stupid)

Emerson laughed aloud, trying to catch their breath before saying "You're so cute like it's stupid" Emerson said, and Lucas raised an eyebrow.

"How? I didn't even say anything cute." Lucas inquired with a frown. "You just are," They both walked inside the school.

"If anything, I'm sexy," Lucas said and Emerson raised an eyebrow. "Yeah, sure."

They both walked in a comfortable silence until they reached Emerson's classroom.

"I'll see you in lunch, love" Lucas said with a heart-warming smile, and Emerson nodded. "Okay, bye Lucas," They said before heading inside the classroom and Lucas walking away, towards their class.

- -

It was lunchtime, Emerson sat down and took out a bag of chips they put in their backpack last night. They started eating it while waiting for Lucas.

Almost a minute has passed until Lucas sat down next to them. "Hey hey!" Lucas exclaimed cheerfully, earning a nod in acknowledgment from Emerson.

"So, my teacher was absent last class so, I started watching a few movies, and the last movie I watched just started before the bell rang. I've watched the other movies but not this one, wanna watch it with me? I bought my earbuds." Lucas asked and Emerson nodded.

Lucas took out his phone from her pocket, and put one of the earbuds on their right ear, while Emerson put the other earbud on their left.

Lucas put his backpack on the table and put his phone leaning on it, before putting on the movie Captain America the winter soldier. "You watch marvel?" Emerson asked with interest.

"Yeah, I mean only a few, I usually just rewatch the ones I like. There are still a few I haven't watched but I don't really watch the separate ones, but I decided to change that." Lucas answered and Emerson nodded.

"That's nice, I like marvel too, but I've watched them all already, but I don't mind rewatching them"

Lucas smiled and faced her phone. They put their elbow on the table and rested her chin on the palm of his hand.

Although they were in school, in the loud cafeteria, this felt oddly like a date, and it made Lucas smile heartwarmingly.

She knows they're not dating, but the fact Emerson reciprocates his feelings. It makes them feel like they won the lottery.

He doesn't know how long it'll take for Lucas to be ready for a relationship, or even be able to go on dates-...

Lucas's brain short circulated. Dates? They didn't ask if dates were allowed. Technically dates aren't being in a serious relationship, they just help to get to know each other until they're ready for a relationship.

They sighed, considering if she should tell Emerson if they were allowed to ask them on a date.

"Um, Emerson?" Lucas refrained from saying a pet name, to prevent the conversation from getting too intimate or awkward.

"Yeah?" Emerson asked, taking their eyes off the phone screen.

"Am I allowed to ask you on dates? Because it can be a way of getting to know each other more deeply, and it can be a way of realizing when we're ready to you know. But it can take fifty dates after until we put a label." Lucas explained, and Emerson smiled, grabbing one of their hands, intertwining their fingers.

"Yeah, that's okay with me," Emerson replied before their gaze returned to the phone.

It's definitely okay with Emerson. In fact, they couldn't wait for their first date. Though it just made them more nervous thinking about it.