Chapter 35

It was Wednesday morning, Lucas had just arrived at Emerson's house. They've decided they'll take turns driving each other. Today, was Lucas's turn.

"Hi, butterfly," Lucas said with a smile as soon as Emerson went inside the car, and put on their seatbelt. "Hey, freckles."

Lucas raised an eyebrow and looked at Emerson questionably. "Freckles?" Lucas asked, and Emerson frowned.

"It's a nickname, because you have a lot of nicknames for me, and I don't have one for you. I think freckles suit you, cause you know... You have freckles, and I like him." Lucas planted both of her hands on Emerson's cheek.

He pressed a soft, and delicate kiss on their forehead. Both of them blushing, awkwardly.

"You're so adorable like it physically pains me. I love that nickname," Lucas said wholeheartedly.

Emerson cleared their throat, trying to ignore how they started blushing furiously. "Okay, you can drive now."

Lucas chuckled before they started driving. One hand was on the steering wheel, while the other was holding Emerson's hand.

Silence filled up the air, a comfortable and relaxing one. One that says more than the both ever could.

One that made Emerson realize, Lucas was the one.

Sure, call them crazy since they're only seventeen. But, she made Emerson a better person. He made Emerson want to overcome their indifferent thoughts on other people.

He was the one.

Emerson was determined to finally tell their mom about their sexuality, about their overwhelming feelings for Lucas, their feelings that just keep growing the more Emerson spends time with them.

"I like you, a lot." Emerson blurted out, their cheeks burning bright pink from embarrassment.

"I like you too, butterfly. More than you know"

But until they see their mom, they'll try and forget about the consequences that can occur.

- -

"You know, I'm honestly surprised your hair hasn't fallen out and died. Especially with the amount of time you've dyed your hair." Cameron stated once they were finally at the cafeteria.

"Me too, but for some reason the color they dye their hair, always suits him. Like it's ridiculous at this point." They all nodded.

"Aw, you guys flatter me," Lucas said, dismissing them with a shy gesture.

"Except that one time, she dyed his hair bright green. Like that was the only color that didn't suit him that much. I ended up calling them grinch until the green left her hair." Wilson said and Lucas frowned.

"And he got humbled real quick," Cameron said, before laughing softly.

"I remember that never do that color again," Emerson said, and Lucas leaned their head against their shoulder.

"Butterfly, why do you have to hurt my feelings like this?" Lucas whined, and Emerson shrugged but held her hand. Contradicting the action they did.

"In all honestly, you both are the cutest couple, even though you're not even a couple, in this whole school," Cameron said, and Wilson nodded in agreement.

"Thanks to me," Lucas said cockily, earning an eyebrow raise from Emerson.

"Aren't you the one always gushing over how pretty I am?" Emerson asked, and Lucas pressed their lips in a flatline.

A couple of seconds later, Lucas said "I will neither confirm nor deny that statement." Earning a laugh from the three.

"Oh! Do you wanna go with me to see my brother's game today?" Lucas asked, and Emerson nodded.

"How about you guys? Wanna come?" Lucas asked the other two, who in return said "Sure,"

"Great!"

"After the game, drop me off home," Emerson said and Lucas nodded but was a bit disappointed since they weren't going to hang out later.

"Thanks, freckles. We can hang out later, I just need to do something first." Emerson said reassuringly, noticing the disappointment on Lucas's face.

"Okay, butterfly," Lucas replied, a smile overtaking her face.

The rest of the school day went by quickly, and before they knew it, they were driving back home to quickly get changed. First Lucas drove to their own house.

"I'll be back," Lucas said once he pulled up to the driveway, and then left the car. Quickly going inside the house, and up to their room.

They slipped on a pair of black cargo pants, and a simple navy blue tank top. They put their shoes back on and left the house, going back inside.

"You look good, freckles," Emerson said, once Lucas was inside the car. In return, Lucas blushed and drove in silence. Emerson quietly laughed at a flustered Lucas.

Finally arriving at Emerson's, they went inside their house, quickly changing into a pair of blue and black plaid pajama pants, a black t-shirt, and a pair of slides.

Emerson went back outside, and then inside the car.

"It amazes me how you can literally just wear PJs, can still manage to look so goddamn pretty." Now, it was Emerson's turn to blush.

"Why do you always have to have the last word, gosh freckles, stop making me feel like this," Emerson said covering their face with their hand, before groaning.

"Feel like what? Tell me butterfly, how exactly am I making you feel?" Lucas said teasingly, yet curious about what Emerson was talking about.

"Like... I don't know! You make me feel like I should just hug, and kiss you and never stop." Emerson said, contemplating if they sound stupidly in love...

Love...

Is this what it was? Sure, they knew they liked Lucas a lot. But, aren't they too young to know what love even is?

"Now that doesn't sound so bad, butterfly. Hugging you every day? Kissing you whenever I see you? Cuddling you while we watch movies. Sounds like a dream come true." Lucas said before he started leaning towards Emerson, slowly.

So slow that Emerson's heart was beating faster with anticipation.

Their patience wearing thin.

"Can I kiss you, butterfly?" Lucas asked cautiously, worrying about overstepping any boundaries.

"Yeah... You can." Emerson said before gulping. Their heart beating so loud, they wouldn't be surprised if Lucas heard it.

Lucas placed her hand on Emerson's cheek, slowly caressing it. Leaning forward, both of their eyes closed once their lips were just an inch away.

Finally, their lips touched. It was soft, delicate, and overall fucking perfect.

There was no denying it now, Emerson was definitely in love with Lucas Hart.

Emerson opened their mouth, ever so slightly. Lucas taking that as an invite, pushed his tongue inside their mouth. Lucas softly groaned at their tounges moving against each other. Also, at the mere fact, that Emerson was genuinely his.

One fact was undeniable, Emerson made her realize, that there was going to be no one else in their life, but Emerson.

After a couple of seconds, Lucas pulled away, before leaning in again, kissing their forehead, and smiling.

Then, Lucas leaned back, smiling wholeheartedly.

"Wow, butterfly. After that, I don't think I can ever get enough of you." Lucas said in complete honesty.

"Don't worry, I was just thinking the same, freckles."