Twelve

"So where to next?" Harden asks as I fall into the passenger seat out of breath. I just sit there heaving for a few minutes.

"There's this spot I used to go to escape from god awful life." I joke trying not to sound too emotional.

"It's a lake, if you wanted to, we could go there."

"I'd love to angel." He says leaning over and kissing me. As we stop at each intersection, I give him instructions. After a decently long drive, I see the lake come into view.

"Wow, it's beautiful." He speaks.

"Yeah, I'd come here forever. Some days I'd even sleep here. I'd do anything to not have to go home."

"I'm sorry you had to go through that. I wish I would've known you years ago. And believe me when we find that sick excuse of a man, I don't know if he'll live long enough to be brought back to Pegna." He threatens.

"Honestly that sound's pretty good to me," I say with a sigh.

"Let's go angel," Harden says putting an arm around my shoulders.

"Don't put your arm there; it makes me feel like we're bros."

"We are bros." He says not moving his arm. I give him a look and he immediately moves his hand down to my waist, dangerously close to my butt.

"Are we bros now?" I laugh and lead him towards the hidden gazebo I'd spend days and nights in. We crawl through overgrown grass and end up in a big open pasture.

"Happy birthday."

"You know what would make this spot even more special? If we christened this spot." And we do just that. For a second time today.

"I love you," I say to Harden as I lay on his bare-toned chest.

"I love you more." He says to me.

"Not to sound cliché but I don't think that's possible."

"Believe me angel it is." I sigh not having any energy to fight him. We lay together talking for a few hours.

"Is this what you had planned today?"

"Actually, there's one more thing. Dinner." I inform him.

"Sounds amazing. Where are we going?"

"There's this Chinese buffet place that I remember going to with my mom." He nods against the top of my head. I sit up, giving him room to slide his shirt on.

"It's really hot." I bitch.

"I know angel. The truck should be pretty cool." I nod and we get up to leave. Harden starts walking, I walk with a slight limp a foot behind him.

"Come on baby." He says frustrated at my pace.

"This is your fault." I say rolling my eyes. He laughs coming back to grab my hand. He stops right in front of me and squats, signaling me to get on his back. I wrap my arms around his neck and set my cheek against his shoulder. He starts the hike around the lake, back to the truck.

Once we get to the truck he opens my door and set me in the passenger seat. I turn on the heated seat feature and sigh when it provides much need relief. I give Harden the directions.

"It's thirty minutes away. Why don't you get some sleep, angel." I nod and set my head against the window, and go to sleep.

"Sawyer, get up we're here." I hear Harden tells me as he shakes me way too hard.

"Cut it out." I say angrily. He smiles at me, just poking the bear.

"You don't get to be mad on my birthday." He says. I roll my eyes.