55 - Court

"Ready?"

"Ready?"

Though she is right in front of me, cradling my cheeks in her hands, her voice sounds far away. It's been almost a month since I last step foot in college. At first, I received a registered letter, informing us the trial would be set for mid-February.

But, it seems Abby's parents did what they do best and anticipated it. I was scared and relieved at the same time. Especially because it means this nirvana will end sooner but it also means that my fate is coming to a close.

And if it isn't a good one, I honestly don't know how I'll react.

Dad and Uncle Jake were stressed all week long, huddled inside the office in thorough calls with the lawyer. In a way, I am thankful they've taken over most of the things after I've given my detailed version of what happened. Dad mentioned last night, with a giddy smile on his face, that they have found something and it's promising.

He's been in a good mood ever since, but I am still not convinced.

With the way things have been so far, I am still waiting for another shoe to drop. Because one tragedy never comes alone. Right?

"No," I whisper.

"It's going to be alright." She reassures me. "Your dad is confident and I trust him. We'll prove you're innocent."

"Dy," Dad chimes in. "We have to go in."

Mum kisses my cheek after a quick hug and I follow the lawyer into the courtroom. We enter through the main door, passing by the area where people who'll be assisting can sit down. It's still empty and the two of us cross them toward the area I'll be sitting.

There's a wooden fence-like barrier, separating the common sitting area from the one where I'll be sitting alone. That barrier has a weird shape, as it continues in a straight line but at some point, there's a conjunction there. It goes to the side for a little bit, before turning again and continuing parallel to the first one, making a small area within where one lone chair is placed. The defendant's.

Mine.

"I'll stay right there," he points to the front, slightly to my right-hand side. "To the left, the victim's defence." He points to the far left, right opposite to him. "This seat right here," he points to the one behind the wooden barrier, right in front of me. "Is where the witnesses will testify. You'll be the first to be called and explain your version."

"Alright," I sigh.

"Your story is consistent, so you just have to say as we rehearsed and you should be fine." I nod, letting him continue. "Back there," he points to the far end of the room, in front of us. "The Judge and to his left, the Prosecutor."

He squeezes my shoulder in reassurance before heading to his assigned place. The room starts to fill in and from the voices closer to me, both my parents are right behind me. Uncle Jake wanted to come but mum begged him to stay home with Jeremy and Wilder.