Chapter 11: Shot through the Heart

I kept climbing higher and higher. I played through every possible scenario in my head. I was ready for anything Al would throw at me. As I almost reached the top of the building, I cocked my gun and climbed the final ladder to the edge of the rooftop.

     As I pulled my head over the edge, I was surprised. There, inches in front of my face was a pair of unmistakable dark red shoes and the end of a long black staff. I glanced up and there was Al, grinning down at me like a Cheshire Cat.

     "Hello (Y/N), have a nice climb?" He asked. His hand was behind his back. It was just as I had expected..

[Al's POV]

    I held my toy gun behind my back as I looked down at (Y/N), her head barely poking over the edge of the building. I had her cornered just as I hoped. My hand clutched the gun as I prepared to cock it and shoot her. As I did so, I noticed a tiny smile form on her face. I stared in confusion. Why was she smiling? She was about to lose. Normally she'd be pouting in frustrated defeat.

     "Any last words before you lose?" I said pointing my gun at her. She stared up at me through the barrel of the gun.

   "You won the battle Al, but...you just lost the war." She said. Just then, as I pulled the trigger, she lunged backwards, jumping off the building and dodged my bullet. Before I even realized it...

  *THWACK POP*

   I looked down, and clinging to the left side of my chest on my breast pocket, was a dart.

[(Y/N)'s POV]

    As I threw myself backwards, I immediately aimed my gun directly at Al's heart and fired. I then plummeted down towards the bottom of the building. I tucked as I tumbled downward waiting to land in the pool. I squeezed my eyes shut and held my breath bracing for impact. However a moment later I felt myself stop tumbling, but I wasn't wet. I opened my eyes and there was Al, smiling down at me with a surprised look in his eyes. He teleported and caught me mid-fall.

I smiled and felt a small blush creep into my cheeks as I let my breath go again.

"Thanks Al, sorry for pulling one over on you..." I said. Al shook his head as he laughed.

"Haha! Not necessary my dear, I haven't seen anyone pull a fast one like that in ages, what a performance!" He said gushing over my win. I blushed more as he spoke. I couldn't help myself. I leaned forward and kissed Al on the cheek.

"Thank you, Al." I said again. He looked stunned for a second, but then his smile grew even bigger and more genuine than usual.

"Anytime my dear, anytime!" He said giving me a little head hug by leaning his head over mine for a second. My ear rested against his chest....I heard a faint but clear heartbeat. That sound alone somehow made me feel even more victorious than I felt from my win.