Chapter 14: Unexpected Couple

A fifteen-years-old girl stood beneath the bloodstained snow, where several decapitated bodies and heads of demons lies in the scarlet powdered ice.

The girl's white-short hair with sky-blue streaks swayed with the freezing wind that blew in her pale emotionless face.

The snowflakes continued to fall from the dull cloudy sky as she stayed still in her spot with blood trickling down from her father's nichirin blade to the once pallid snow that are now painted with red.

Footsteps then can be heard against the soft snow, as a man approached the girl from behind and stopped just five feet away from the bloody terrain, where the girl stood in the very center of such sight.

The girl peered through her shoulder with her cold azure irises, only to see a man with black short hair and gentle lavender eyes. He had a strange mark spreading in his left eye, and the girl didn't fail to notice a sword strapped in the man's side.

Little does the girl know that the man she stumbled upon is no other than Kagaya Ubuyashiki, the Leader of the Demon Slayer Corps.

Kagaya was just passing by in the snowy forest, when he suddenly noticed a certain teenager chasing the demons in the area and he observed how the teen mercilessly beheaded them in just one slash.

It has been years since he saw someone used ice breathing, this style of breathing is pretty rare and he only met one man in his younger years that use such breathing style.

The said man sadly was forced to retire because of a severe injury that he sustained from a battle that he barely made out. Due to his vicious personality he didn't have any student and his wife died so young after bearing him a daughter. He didn't bother to remarry so he had no son that Kagaya knows of.

He moved to another place with his daughter after his retirement, and from then on, the Ubuyashiki estate have no communication or any news of them. Since the daughter was trained to be a good wife, Kagaya doubted that her father would let her enter the corps, or let her wield a sword.

At first Kagaya thought that maybe the man had finally remarried and was blessed with a son that inherited his ice breathing, that is currently training for the Demon Slayer Selection. However, he was met with a big surprise when the youth turned to face him with her cold stare.

He second though that it must be the said man's apprentice but the silver snowflake crest in the back of her thick haori is the very evidence that she is a descendant of the Kazahana clan, the man's clan to be precise. Her feature also resembles the man's daughter and she also inherited the same azure eyes that her father have.

"What's you name, young lady?" Kagaya asked as he offered her a gentle smile.

Whilst the girl returned with a cold gaze that seems to tear through his soul.

"Kazahana Fuyuko." The girl bluntly replied.

With her answer, Kagaya was now sure that this is the same girl he met in the Kazahana estate. It was truly surprising for him to find the girl's fate changed from the bright future to be wedded, to the harsh reality of the bloody battlefield.

Kagaya then stared deep into the girl's pair of blue azure eyes, her eyes may have the same hue as her father's but her icy gaze are colder than ice. Her father's fierce irises have no similarities to her dull and dead eyes that holds a very dark secret that even the demon slayer leader have no knowledge of.

Just remembering those coldest gaze always makes Kagaya shiver, not a single ounce of warmth are seen in those pair of icy azure ice.

Kagaya offered the girl to be a demon slayer, she refused but ended up joining the corps in the end. He don't know what changed her mind but he was glad that she reconsidered his offer.