Chapter 23: Lower Moon Two

"I was quite worried of you." Hikaru suddenly said. "I was afraid you'll end up alone like me, dying without finding anyone since you're cold as ice and stoic as a rock. Although, it seems that I was wrong, it was sudden but this Flame Hashira of yours is a reputable man. I hope he treats you well."

"He was a childhood friend of mine. You can rest assure that I am in safe hands."

"Is that so?" He smirked. "Reunited lovers eh, not bad for your love story, kid. I'm quite jealous hehe."

"Not having a family is my only regret in life." He stated. "Too bad I could not turn back time but I do believe in the next life."

"Reincarnation." Fuyuko worded out.

"Yes, and in that life, I hope — no I will have a family." Hikaru said with determination. "I won't repeat the same mistake I have committed and walk this lonely road to rest."

"Caw! Caw! Caw!" Inei's loud screech then interrupt their conversation.

Hikaru looked up to spot Fuyuko's crow while she stood up from her spot and lightly patted her clothes to remove the accumulated dirt from her corps uniform. She then secured her katana to her belt and lifted the gift she received from the ground.

"Looks like our time is up, you and I should now keep going, Yamamoto-san." She bid him farewell. "I'll cherish the gift that you have brought me, and hold your last sword in great use."

"It have been nice to have this last conversation with you, Kazahana-sama. I'll pray for good fortune and prosperity to come your way in this new chapter of your life. Goodbye, kid."

"Farewell, Yamamoto-san." Fuyuko bowed once more before turning and finally walking away.

After several steps, she was a meter away from the old blacksmith, when she abruptly stopped and turned. There was a brief moment of silence before she took a breath and spoke.

"Yamamoto-san," she called out, catching his attention.

The old blacksmith looked at her while nodding his head, urging her to continue.

"If a next life truly exist," she stated. "will you... accept me as your daughter?"

Hikaru didn't waste a second and immediately gave her a one last smile with chuckle.

"Of course, I will." He replied. "I'll even spoil you with everything you want, because a daughter like you would be an honor to have."

A sudden gushed of wind then blew as warmth filled Fuyuko's heart, she turned once more and walked to a certain direction where her crow is leading her.

"Then I'll wait for that life to come, Yamamoto-san. Till we meet again."

Upon receiving her nichirin sword, Fuyuko was given a mission right away. She was assigned in a rocky mountain where a demon was running rampant by killing traveling slayers and innocent people.

The demon's power was said to level a Twelve Kizuki so the Ice Hashira didn't waste time and went to the said location as fast as she could. Like adrenaline rush, Fuyuko couldn't help but feel a strange excitement build her up, knowing that she might encounter a Kizuki. She climbed the ranks by killing over 50 demons and she have been hoping to encounter a much stronger one than her previous fights.

The sun had already set when Fuyuko finally arrived at her destination. The sky darkened as the light faded from the once tangerine sky.

The waning crescent moon then showed its light in the starless night sky that dimly shined the trees and rocks in the quiet mountain where a certain footsteps of an okobo sandal could be heard, clacking against the hard surface of large stones.