Chapter 18: Nightmares and Tears

Snowflakes continued to gently fall from the the cloudy heaven as Kyojuro walk aimlessly in the wintery woods.

The path is shrouded with snow-coated trees, and what lies ahead is a white void that no one knows of. This void is a mystery that only time could tell and fate could change.

Despite the obscure path that lead to the cryptic tales of fate, Kyojuro keep on walking, crushing the pearly-white snow beneath his feet in each step he took.

The atmosphere held a serene peace and its silence is almost deafening, only the sound of Kyojuro's footsteps against the snow is the only thing that echoed a sound in the woods.

Although the forest is showered with tranquility, its too quiet for Kyojuro's comfort.

After walking for hours, Kyojuro then found himself out of the trees and gazing at a forest clearing, a field with white roses that filled the snowy land in fairness.

The sun peeked from the cloudy sky and stroked each pallid petal with its golden sunlight. The roses shone in the light like precious gems and glistened in the snow like pearls.

But the most beautiful of them all bloomed in the very center of the garden, a white rose that is filled with beauty and grace as she stand out among the others.

Her long white hair with sky blue streaks cascaded down her back as the wind gently swayed some of its strands like a calm wave of the white sea.

She wore a fancy white kimono embroidered with silver snowflakes and red flowers that suits her perfectly, and Kyojuro didn't fail to notice their wedding bracelet that hung loosely in her wrist.

"Fuyuko." Kyojuro gently stated her name with a smile.

She was currently facing the other way so she didn't notice him.

The flame hashira was about the approach her but abruptly stopped when black thorns suddenly sprouted from the snowy ground and wrapped its way in Kyojuro's feet and hands, restricting his movements.

The thorns were as sturdy as thousands of iron and as sharp as swords, Kyojuro desperately tried to break free but the thorns remained unmoving despite his strength.

Blood started to ooze out from the fresh wound inflicted by the thorns and it flowed down from his skin to the ground, staining the white snow into bloody red.

In the midst of Kyojuro's struggle, Fuyuko bent down and pick one of the white roses nearby. She stood up and admired the rose for a second as her husband watched from afar.

Then the rose in her hand suddenly turned red and bloomed into a spider lily. Same goes to the roses nearby, the red plague spread rapidly like a crimson paint being splattered in pure white canvas, until the garden of white roses is no more but scarlet lilies.

In a blink of an eye, the red flower in Fuyuko's hand morphed into a sword - her nichirin sword. She unsheathed its blade and swiftly held it against her own neck.

Kyojuro couldn't move nor he could speak - he was frozen in his spot. He tried so desperately to do something but even though how hard he tried, he couldn't break through the black thorns.

He felt so helpless and useless.

He repeatedly cried her name out as loud as he could but unfortunately, his words only fell into a silent scream that never reached her ears.

Fuyuko tightened her hold in the blade, signifying that she will soon strike but before the horrifying scene unfolds...

Kyojuro woke up.

"Kyojuro!"

He heard Fuyuko call out, and his eyes immediately shot open as his body involuntarily jerk up. Intense fear pooled in his golden red eyes as his breath became uneven, his clothes are drench in cold sweat and he couldn't help but form a fist in frustration.