Chapter 18

Aria POV

I’ve never had a more relaxing shower.

I didn’t use warm water because I didn’t know if I was allowed to, but I did set the temperature to a little warmer than I was used to. It was amazing.

I hoped that it was okay. I hoped that they wouldn’t be mad at me for using a little bit of warm water.

I used only a small amount of the shampoo that Gabriel’s dad gave me. I didn’t want to overstep any boundaries. I didn’t want them to hurt me.

A part of me knew that they wouldn’t. I felt really safe with them. But I was always on edge at home. I had so many rules. Everything I did was wrong. I would get punished for anything and everything. It was hard not to be afraid.

The room they gave me was amazing. Gabriel’s dad said that it was plain and that we would decorate it however I wanted, but I didn’t want to change anything. I didn’t need to change it. I wouldn’t be here for long, anyway.

It had a bed, a desk with a chair, and a huge closet.

I was happy just when I saw the blanket. At home, I only had an old sheet. It was cold in the winter, and I usually didn’t sleep very well because I was always shivering.

The room had a desk and a chair. I’ve never had a desk. I always did my homework on the floor.

I was amazed when I saw the closet. At home, my clothes were folded in a little pile on the floor. I actually had a closet at one of the houses where we lived, but my parents forbade me to use it. I didn’t know why. They weren’t using it for anything.

I stepped out of the shower and grabbed a towel.

I dried my hair with the towel and looked at myself in the mirror.

My body was black and blue, with cuts and burns littered all over it.

I wanted to sob, but it was a sight I was used to. This was the way my body looked most of the time.

I was in pain, but it wasn’t too bad. I felt worse.

I took a closer look at the cuts and the burns. Thankfully, none of them were infected.

I took the clothes Gabriel’s dad gave me. They were huge, but I was so thankful to him.

I put the sweats on, rolling the ends a couple of times so that it would fit me. I put the hoodie on, and it fell down to my knees.
I looked funny, but I was so warm and cozy.

I opened the bathroom door and stepped into the room. I took another look around and smiled. It was wonderful.

I walked to the bedroom door and opened it.

I glanced around while walking downstairs. The wall was covered in picture frames. I saw Gabriel, his dad, and his mom in most of them. This place wasn’t just a house. It was a home. It was their home, and I wished that I could be a part of it. I wished that there were my pictures on the walls. I wished that I was smiling in them. I wished that Gabriel and his dad were in them with me.

Warm tears fell on my cheeks, and I quickly wiped them away.

I stepped into the kitchen, and I was welcomed with an amazing smell.

It must be the lasagna. I knew what it was, but I never ate it.

I heard two chuckles, and I looked at Gabriel and his dad.

“You look so cute.” Gabriel’s dad said, eyeing me up and down.

“Funny, but cute.” Gabriel added.

I blushed and looked down at Gabriel’s clothes.

“Why is your hair wet?” Gabriel asked, making me look up at him. “You are going to catch a cold.”

What was he talking about? I never used a hairdryer on my hair. My mom had one, but she never let me use it. Did they have one? Did they want me to use it? Would they allow me to use it?

“Gabe is right, baby.” his dad said softly. “You need to dry your hair properly. I don’t want you to get sick.”

His dad was taking the lasagna out of the oven. He placed it on the counter and gave me a small smile.

“I am sorry.” I mumbled quietly.

“There is nothing to be sorry about.” Gabriel said as he took my hand in his and pulled me out of the kitchen. “I will dry your hair, come on.”

I followed Gabriel out of the kitchen and back into the room.

He made me sit down on the chair as he walked into the bathroom. He came back with the hairdryer and plugged it in.

He kissed the top of my head and started the dryer. The warm air on my skin felt amazing. I was never this warm.

He started drying my hair, running his fingers through it gently. I was so relaxed and warm that I almost fell asleep.

Gabriel chuckled, bending down and kissing my temple.

“Don’t sleep.” he said softly. “You need to eat first.”

I opened my eyes, and a wave of nervousness hit me hard.

Eat? But I told them that I wasn’t hungry.

The lasagna did smell amazing. Would they really let me eat? What would I have to do after? Wash the dishes and clean the kitchen maybe?

Gabriel turned the hairdryer off and kissed my temple again.

“All done.” he said, plugging it out of the wall. “Now you won’t get sick.”

I gave him a small smile and stood up.

I waited for him to put the hairdryer back in the bathroom, and we left the room together.

Gabriel took my hand in his and gave me a small smile. It didn’t reach his eyes, though.

What happened? Why was he sad? Did I do something? Did I offend him or his dad? Was he angry at me?

Oh, God, what did I do?

My heart was beating a mile a minute, and I was sure that it would jump out of my chest. My hands were covered in sweat, and a cold shiver went down my spine.

Would they hurt me? Would they punish me? Would they make me go back to the station?

The lump in my throat got so big that it was getting hard to breathe.

Don’t look up. Don’t speak. Don’t cry. Do as you are told.

I repeated these rules inside my head, trying not to anger him anymore than I already did.

Was he mad because I didn’t dry my hair? Did they know that I used warm water?

What did I do?

We reached the kitchen and Gabriel led me to the table.

I was shaking so badly that I thought I would fall down.

I heard footsteps approaching, and I was ready to receive a punch.

I lowered my head and made myself as small as possible. I closed my eyes and prayed for it to be over soon.

Instead of a punch, I felt a large, warm hand on my back.

“What’s wrong, baby?” Gabriel’s dad asked me worriedly.

I froze. He wasn’t going to punch me?

I opened my eyes slowly and lifted my head a little. I glanced at him and saw a mixture of worry, panic, and sadness on his face.

Gabriel was standing behind him, wide-eyed. His fists were clenched, and he was shaking a little.

“It’s okay, baby.” Gabriel’s dad said, his voice breaking. “You are not in any kind of trouble. Gabriel and I would never hurt you.”

I looked back at him and gulped down the lump in my throat. I needed to pull myself together a little. I needed to control the fear. I couldn’t let them know about the abuse. My parents would never forgive me. My parents would punish me like never before. They would kill me.

“I love you, Aria.” Gabriel said, kneeling down in front of me. “I love you so much. Don’t be scared of me, please.”

I didn’t want to be. I really didn’t want to be. But I grew up being punished for everything I did. I grew up being scared of every little movement. It was really hard for me to just stop all of that, no matter how much I wanted to.

I couldn’t let them know, so I forced a small smile on my face.

“I am not scared.” I said quietly. “I am okay.”

Gabriel tightened his jaw and looked up at his dad.

“We need to talk, baby.” his dad said, bending down and kissing the top of my head.

I froze, and my heart stopped beating.

They knew something. Oh, God, they knew something.

My parents will kill me.