Chapter 53

Henry POV

I was sitting in Brad’s car. We were parked at the end of my street.

I was shaking from top to bottom, and the need to kill only grew by the second.

I glanced at the watch on my wrist. Two minutes until 8 pm.

“If you leave my car, I will arrest you.” Brad said as he turned around to look at Julian and me. “Am I clear?”

Julian and I both nodded.

“Words, Henry.” Brad said sternly.

He understood my need to kill the man who hurt my daughter. He understood the need to kill the man who threatened to rape my daughter.

When Owen came to my house and Aria told us how he had threatened her in the past and how he had touched her, all hell broke loose. I have a broken lap and a hole in my wall back home.

Brad knew how fucking much I wanted to wrap my hands around the fucker’s neck and squeeze.

“I won’t leave your car, Brad.” I said, tightening my jaw.

“Think about your daughter, Henry.” Brad said. “She needs you home, not in jail.”

I took a deep breath and nodded.

He was right. My baby needed me. No matter how much I wanted to kill the fucker, I wouldn’t do it. I wouldn’t do anything that would take me away from my little girl.

I couldn’t believe that I almost lost her again.

“Same goes for you, Julian.” Brad said, turning back around. “Your niece needs you home.”

“I know.” Julian mumbled. “I won’t do shit.”

“Good.” Brad nodded. “I would hate to have to put you in jail.”

I glanced at the car parked a little bit down the road. It was dark, but I could see Owen’s figure sitting behind the wheel.

I glanced at my watch again. It was 8 pm.

I looked up and down the street. There was no movement.

Where was the fucker?

“What if he goes to the house?” Julian asked nervously.

“Our officers are there, Julian.” Brad said, glancing at him through the rearview mirror. “Don’t worry.”

Owen was worried that the fucker could come to the house, so he put four officers on guard duty. Gabriel was so freaked out that he took Aria to his room and locked the door. We barely managed to convince him to let Andrew and Luke in.

Even if the fucker went to my house, he would never manage to get to her. He had seven men to go through, and four of them had fucking guns.

I glanced at my watch again. It was 8:02 pm.

I looked up and saw a car approaching us. It was an old, beat up truck. I couldn’t make out the model because it was too dark.

The car stopped, and the driver shut down the headlights. I could see the car door opening, and a tall man stepped out of it. He leaned on the hood of the car and lit a cigarette.

“Aria.” I heard him call my daughter’s name. “Come on, my pretty little girl. We need to leave.”

My vision blackened, and I wanted to jump out of the car. I wanted to kill him. I was a fucking surgeon. I knew what I needed to know about taking a life. One punch in the right place, and the fucker would be gone.

The only thing that was stopping me was my little girl back home. I couldn’t do it. I needed to go back home to her.

I could hear Julian taking deep breaths. I grabbed his hand and squeezed it.

I watched as Owen opened his car door and stepped outside. He was trying to be quiet. He was approaching the fucker from behind, raising his gun slowly.

“Here we go.” Brad mumbled as he took his gun out of the holder and opened the car door as quietly as he could.

Brad stepped outside and raised his gun toward the fucker.

“Hi, Roger.” I heard Owen’s voice.

The fucker dropped his cigarette and turned around abruptly.

“Put your hands in the air.” Owen said. “Nice and slow. Don’t make any sudden movements.”

Roger stood still.

“Come on, Roger.” Owen said. “Hands up in the air. Don’t make me shoot you. That’s too much paperwork for me and a painful hour in the hospital for you.”

Brad walked closer to Owen and the fucker, keeping his gun pointed at the fucker the whole time.

“Why am I being arrested?” Roger asked.

“For abusing and threatening a minor.” Owen said.

“That little bitch is lying!” Roger shouted, making the rage inside of me explode.

“The correct answer would be: Sorry, officer, I don’t know what you are talking about.” Brad joined the conversation, making Roger turn around and look at him. “Now we already know that you do know something about the minor in question.”

It was dark, but I could see Roger frown.

“The little slut is lying.” Roger said, gritting his teeth.

I growled.

I growled? I didn’t even know humans could do that. I guessed that fathers can growl when some fucker calls their little girl names.

Julian cursed under his breath.

“I’m going to kill him.” Julian said, his voice cold.

“Calling her names only makes me think that she was telling the truth.” Owen said. “Hands behind your head, Roger, now.”

Roger mumbled something under his breath, but he raised his hands and put them behind his head.

Brad walked up to him, taking the handcuffs out of his pocket. Owen kept his gun aimed at the fucker.

I watched as Brad grabbed the fucker’s hands and placed the handcuffs on them.

I breathed out in relief.

My baby was safe.

I pulled the phone out of my pocket and called my son.

He answered immediately.

“He is under arrest.” I said.

“Thank fuck.” Gabriel said, taking a deep breath.

“Julian and I will go to the station.” I said. “I want to watch the interrogation. I will call you later.”

“Okay, dad.” Gabriel said.

“How’s my baby?” I asked, and a feeling of longing washed over me.

I wanted to go home to my little girl. I wanted to go home to my buddy. I wanted to take them both into my arms and hold them tightly. I couldn’t believe that I almost lost my little girl again. I couldn’t believe that fucking Mark and Rose wanted to take my son away from me.

It was hard for me to believe everything that happened to my family. It was hard for me to believe that there were people so cruel that they could do something like that.

I was ready for it to be over. I was ready to go back home to my kids. I was ready to go back to work and do the job I love. I was ready to fight with Gabriel about his dirty socks all around the house. I was ready to fight with my daughter about boys. I was ready to watch Gabriel freak out whenever a boy approached Aria.

I was ready for us to move on with our lives.

“She is okay, dad.” Gabriel said softly. “She is safe.”

“She is.” I said, watching as Owen put Roger in the back of his car. “I will be home soon, bud. I love you.”

“I love you too, dad.” Gabriel said and I hung up the phone.

Brad walked back and entered the car.

“He is an asshole.” Brad mumbled. “I almost shot him.”

“It’s a good thing I don’t own a gun.” I said, making Brad chuckle and shake his head.

Brad started the car and started driving behind Owen.

I took a deep breath. I would need to stay calm while I watched the interrogation.

I pictured going back home and pulling my children into a hug. It was the only thing that could stop me from killing Roger.