Chapter 30

Aria POV

I was wiggling my toes in my new slippers. They were so warm and soft. My feet have never been warmer, and I’ve never worn anything as comfortable as these slippers.

It was hard to believe that they were free.

Living here will be so much different than living with my parents.

My body was used to working. My body moved automatically. When I saw the table in the kitchen, I wanted to clean it. My muscles pulled me in the direction of the table. I didn’t even feel my injuries. I was used to the pain. I was used to working when I was in pain.

Was Gabriel’s dad serious when he said that I didn’t have to earn clothes and food?

He looked serious when he was telling me that, but I learned not to trust everything that everyone tells me.

One time, when I was about 9 years old, I was hiding from my dad in the closet in my room. He was drunk and high. He was yelling, and he wanted to hurt me. I ran away and hid. My mom found me in the closet and told me to come out. She told me that she wanted to hug me and protect me. I believed her because I wanted to be hugged and protected. I wanted my mom. I wanted someone who would wrap their arms around me and love me. I got out of the closet only to be beaten by her. After she was done, she told my dad where I was, and he continued the beating.

I learned that I can’t trust anybody when my parents told me that they were going to bake me a cake for my 11th birthday. I woke up excited. That was supposed to be the first birthday when I would receive a gift. I got into the kitchen with a big smile on my face. The only thing I’d gotten was a big scar on my leg that my dad had made using a beer bottle. I still had it.

Remembering that birthday made me wonder if my parents even told me my real date of birth.

“Gabriel?” I called him quietly.

He looked up at me and smiled. “Yes?”

“When were we born?” I asked him.

He furrowed his eyebrows and placed the box he was holding down on the desk.

“What did they tell you?” he asked as he came to sit down next to me.

“September 15th.” I mumbled quietly.
Gabriel’s jaw clenched.

“It’s actually October 19th.” Gabriel said, tucking a strand of my hair behind my ear.

“Oh.” I mumbled, looking down at my hands.

“I wonder who’s older.” Gabriel said, making me look back up at him.

“You don’t know?” I asked quietly.

“No.” he said, shaking his head. “But we can ask dad.”

“Ask dad what?” a voice made me flinch hard.

I turned my head abruptly, my eyes widened, and my heart started racing.

Gabriel’s dad was standing in the doorway, looking at me with panic written all over his face.

“Oh, baby, I’m sorry.” Gabriel’s dad said, rushing toward me. “I didn’t mean to scare you.”

He pulled me into a hug, kissing the top of my head.

I tried to calm myself down. I didn’t mean to react like I did. I didn’t even know why he scared me that much. Maybe it was because surprises never meant anything good when I was living with my parents.

“It’s okay.” I mumbled quietly. “I am sorry. I don’t know why I reacted like I did.”

“It’s okay, love.” Gabriel’s dad said, rubbing my back softly. “I should have been more careful. I am sorry.”

My heart clenched painfully. He shouldn’t have to apologize to me. I should have to apologize to him. He didn’t do anything wrong, I did.

“What did you want to ask me, Gabe?” Gabriel’s dad said as he let me go.

He looked down at me and kissed my forehead.

“Who is older, me or Aria?” Gabriel asked, pulling me into his arms.

“You are, Gabe.” Gabriel’s dad said, giving us a small smile. “17 minutes older.”

“Do you hear that, baby sis?” Gabriel chuckled. “I’m older.”

I looked up at him and smiled. He was grinning. He kissed my temple and looked back at his dad.

“So, how did the conversation go?” Gabriel asked.

I froze. I completely forgot about that.

I looked at Gabriel’s dad and gulped.

“They are so happy to have you back, love.” Gabriel’s dad said. “They can’t wait to see you. They understand that you need some time, but they would really like to see you soon.”

“No.” Gabriel said, interrupting his dad. “It’s too soon. They can wait.”

His hold on me tightened, and I was glad. He was right. It was too soon. I was scared. What were they like? Would they like me? Would they hurt me?

“Let me finish.” Gabriel’s dad sighed. “I suggested a video call first.”

“When?” Gabriel asked, and I could hear annoyance in his voice.

“When Aria is ready.” Gabriel’s dad said, giving me a small smile. “I won’t do anything without talking to you about it first, love. I suggested a video call because I thought that it would be easier for you. But we will do it on your terms and on your time.”

“Not now.” Gabriel said, pulling me even closer. “It’s too soon. We will do it later. They can get to know her later.”

I looked up at Gabriel worriedly. He sounded a little bit panicked.

“What’s wrong?” I asked him softly.

He looked down at me and took a deep breath.

“I just got you back.” he mumbled, closing his eyes. “I’m not ready to share you with anyone.”

I lifted my hand and caressed his cheek softly.

“You don’t have to.” I said quietly.

He opened his eyes and smiled at me. He kissed my cheek and leaned his forehead on mine.

He didn’t have to share me. I didn’t want him to. I felt safest with him, and I didn’t want to lose that. I didn’t want this feeling to end.

I was scared that my parents would take me away. I was scared that they would escape or that they would convince the sheriff that they weren’t guilty. I was scared that they would somehow convince the sheriff that they really were my parents.

I was so scared of losing Gabriel. I was so scared of losing a brother. I was so scared of losing Gabriel’s dad. I was so scared of losing the only person who was ever a real dad to me. I was so scared of losing two people who were ever real family to me.