10. Ointment and Bandages

Kuhoo :

Mahil hissed as I wiped his wound with cotton. He quickly recovered from the burning sensation of antiseptic allowing me to apply the ointment. As I let go off his hand, he softly blew air on the index finger.

"It's not a major cut, will completely heal in five to six days. Use a bandage to cover it properly. Visit a doctor if it gets swollen or the surrounding skin becomes redder instead of healing," I gave my usual professional smile.

"Thanks," He nodded and started walking towards the door.

Eli's words from sometime back struck my mind, "Hey, Wait...I was... I just wanted to..." Mahil frowned turning towards me. I felt surprised with my own stuttering but then how could I directly to ask him if he was a celebrity.

"Is there a problem?" He asked concerned.

Scratching the back of my head, I stared at the light blue wall of the living room for a moment, aware of his eyes on me. Placing a hair strand behind the ear, I looked at him finally finding some sane words. "Are you on instagram?"

Corner of his lips curled up, "Is this where you try to get my number? If you want it, just ask for it. What's with the instagram thing anyways?"

How did he change so quickly from being concerned to flirtatious?

"No. This isn't where I run behind you for your phone number," I replied air quoting 'Phone number' and continued further, "It's basically where I enquire about your opinion regarding social media."

He looked at me from head to toe and smirked folding his hands over the chest, "Lie all you want but I can see through it."

Shifting my weight from one foot to another, releasing a deep breathe, I pressed the lips in a thin line, "Stop being so difficult. I asked a simple question and expected a simple answer. Eli and you both are so dramatic. This is all because of her. And you, you may leave."

Mimicking my expressions he said, "Firstly, do not talk to me like that. Secondly, who is this Eli? And lastly, I'm there on instagram but I usually keep away from these things."

Was I that rude?

He again started walking towards the exit when I uttered, "Mahil..."

Hearing my voice, his hand froze while turning the door knob and he turned on the heels. There was a hint of an undecipherable emotion in his eyes, amazement?

"Did you say something?" He asked.

I cleared the throat, "Mahil..." His orbs widened as I called out his name, then he blinked, opened and closed the mouth only to cover it with the right palm later, rubbing the light stubble using the same index finger. The next moment he hissed realizing that the ointment made its way to his face or may be the wound pained.

I wasn't wrong when I called him dramatic, was I?

"Does it hurt?" I asked but he didn't reply rather stared in my direction.

"Mahil, sit hit here. I'll just be back," I rushed to cupboard searching for a pack of bandages. It was in the second drawer, taking the whole packet I made a mental note to buy them on my way back home the next day.

After applying a small amount of cream, I fixed the skin colored bandage meticulously over the injured area. "There you go. It will heal real soon, no need to worry. Keep this." I forwarded the pack of bandages and he took it somewhat mechanically. "Eli is my best friend. She came across your instagram account. We were surprised because it showed a million followers and that blue tick. But then you are so different."

"That's me, the manager takes care of it," He sighed, "A few years back, it mattered a lot, but now it is just a part of business."

I smiled, "So, you are a celeb."

He shook his head and smirked, "So, your best friend stalked me." Making an innocent face he added, "But why would she do that? Let me guess. You told her about me? But when does a best friend goes around searching information about a man her friend mentioned? Haww. That's - "

Raising my palm in his direction as a signal, I vociferated, "Stop it. Yes, I talked to her about you, big deal. I tell her almost everything. Don't' make a whole mountain out of a mole."

He rolled the eyes, "Fine. I was just joking."

"When did we become friends for us to joke around?" I gave him a pointed look.

"We are neighbours," He shrugged.

"That does not mean you can keep troubling me every day." I shot back.

He exhaled audibly through the mouth, "When was the last time you actually enjoyed flirting with someone?"

Never.

"Where did that come from?" I muttered. It wasn't an unknown fact that I lacked in the department of flirting. I wasn't an introvert or a not-so-confident chick. Just that I did not exhibit naturally smooth flirting skills. Although, Adi used to say I never needed them.

"That's not the answer to my question." He said.

"Am I answerable to you?" I raised the eyebrows.

He smiled, "Psychology tricks, I see. Basically, you aren't well versed with the art of flirting. So, Kuhoo thought let's play question for a question. I'm a good teacher. Need some help?"

His words made me actually contemplate for a moment. There was a time I did wish to literally practice smooth flirting.

How could I consider it, that to from him?

I lashed, "I don't require any help. But are you even a celebrity? Your behaviour is -"

Cutting my words in between he laughed, "May be, I used to be, a celebrity. Times have changed. But above all this I'm just an artist."

Mahil fell silent after that. Gone was the guy who pulled my leg some time back. Why did he talk in past tense? And that laughter; there was something weird about it. Not finding it comfortable to ask him anything more, I plainly diverted the conversation, "Coffee?"

He clicked the tongue, "Some other time. Thank you for everything."

Throwing a two finger salute in my direction, he sauntered out of my place, closing the door a little harshly on his way. It collided with the architrave and door frame making a loud sound.

What was his problem?

Did I offend him?

He had been grumpy and angry before as well. But why did the air around feel heavy this time?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vote and comment!