31. Was it a mistake?

Mahil :

Warmth in freezing cold, peace amidst chaos, she was everything I desired. Shifting a little, I touched the intricate pearl designs adorning those ears, thumb brushing lightly over wheatish skin of her neck.

Kuhoo held onto my wrist, eyes staring back into mine. Her silver bangles clinked together creating a music that was starting to get familiar, one of its kind which I probably would never want to forget.

"Mahil," She called and I was lost all over again. Subtle movement of her lips, glowing beauty of raven black eyes when she mumbled my name, how was it possible for someone hold such a strong control over me?

"Mahil." She said and I could only hum in response as her other palm rested on my shoulder.

"You should stay away from me. I mean it." Kuhoo stepped back drawing a line with her words, I tried stopping her but she was too determined.

"Wait. I... I don't... I don't get it. Why would you say that?" My voice was a mere whisper.

"For your own good," She turned on her heels, hand slipping out of mine.

"You can walk away if you don't want this, Kuhoo. For my feelings, I get to decide," My fingers curled around pulp of her little finger, as if keeping the last thread joining us intact.

"Fine then, for our own good. You should leave. I'll find my way back." She left towards a farther end of lake and I stood there contemplating the real meaning behind her words.

"And what if I'm your way? Do you not fear losing me, like I do?" I whispered to myself, eyes set on the path of her trailing figure.

Was it too early for me to confess? Was she not ready for it? But I had to tell her about my feelings one day or other. I wasn't going to step back this easily, but what could I do if she didn't want me?

I at least deserved a better explanation, although no reasoning would make me stop feeling for her. So, walked towards the end where she sat. Sensing my presence, her shoulders straightened, hands clutching tighter onto the blazer.

Settling beside, I silently followed her distant line of vision, staring at the calm water in darkness of night. None of us initiated a conversation for a long time.

"Ever saw a ghost Mahil? I see it every day. It follows me wherever I go. And when I close my eyes, not wanting to see it's dark shadows hovering over me, it comes closer whispering curses of its dark witchcraft in my ears. You know what the world calls it? Past."

"My mind compels me to say - if I knew my words would get you in a state this undecipherable, I wouldn't have confessed my feelings, but then it would be a lie. I did it for myself. You are right; there probably isn't anything selfless about what I feel for you. I thought he wouldn't stop you because there's something between us as well." I didn't know what to say for making her reciprocate.

"He doesn't stop me, Mahil. I moved on from my feelings for him long back." She uttered.

"That's what you like to believe?" I whispered.

"No, that is the truth." She tried to bring finalization in her tone, but her meek attempts at creating a strong resolve fell short because I couldn't trust her.

"Your actions and your words do not match, Kuhoo. If he doesn't stop you, what does? Or do you not feel anything for me? Nothing at all?" I demanded.

"I... I don't know."

I let out a mirthless chuckle, "You want me to stay away when you aren't sure about your own feelings?"

"No. I want you to stay away because I know what happens after this," Her eyes shot in my direction. I had expected them to be confused, sad, or teary. Anything but clear. Then it struck me she knew what she was talking about.