Chapter 28

When seen from the street, the home presented an air of dignity and stature. And as I cautiously made my way to the front door, a heaviness engulfed me like a blanket the moment I crossed the threshold. It seemed as though the stillness was emanating from inside the stone walls themselves. And I could feel the stares of the invisible guards devouring my flesh from the inside out. The vast area was hauntingly still, and so were all of its inhabitants, both human and otherwise. It was close to midday, yet there was not a single person to be seen anywhere around.

As I reached the front door of my empty house, a sense of unease washed over me. What if my dad was watching me right now through the cameras. I willed my head to not look at at the places the cameras were situated. He would have one glance at my face and instantaneously know what I had been up to. Frolicking with the enemy was one thing my father had a knack of fishing out. I felt my palms start to sweat and my heart race in my chest as I pushed open the door and stepped inside.

The house was quiet and still, just like when I left it. But as I tiptoed through the living room towards the stairs, every creak of the floorboards felt like a loud bang in the silent house. I held my breath as I climbed the stairs, hoping to make it to my room undetected.

But as I reached the top of the staircase, I heard a noise coming from my one end of the hallway. My heart skipped a beat as I froze, wondering if my father was the one that would appear around the corner. Or maybe the sound was a figment of my imagination. I heard the sound again, a rustling noise, and I realized with a sinking feeling that someone was indeed about to round the corner of the hallway.

I felt a sense of panic wash over me as I stood frozen on the landing. What would he say if he found out I had been out all day? What would he do if he knew I had spent the night with Nate?

My eyes were stuck to the side.

The sound of their approaching feet became louder, and it wasn't long until they turned the corner. When Lorna entered my field of view, I felt a wave of relief wash over me.

"You scared the shit out of me." I whispered to her, glancing around just to make sure if no one else was around.

Lorna answered. Albeit with her eyes. And all I got was a blank gaze.

"Why is everything so quiet?" I asked her, taking a step towards her. She stopped walking and stood a few metres away from me.

Her lips slightly parted but instantly closed again. Without one single word, from someone who essentially took a role of my mother, she walked past me with her head lowered.

What happened? My gut clenched up with fear.

I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself down, and slowly started to make my way towards my room. Every creak of the floorboards felt like a warning, every rustle of my clothes felt like a shout in the silent house.

As I reached my door, I turned the handle as quietly as I could and slipped inside, closing the door behind me. I sank onto my bed, feeling a sense of relief wash over me as I realized I had made it to my room undetected by my father

But the feeling was short-lived. As I sat there, my heart racing, I couldn't shake the feeling of fear that had settled in my stomach. What if my dad found out? What would happen then?

The door flew open, slamming against the wall with a loud bang that made me jump. I turned to see my father storming into the room, his face twisted in a scowl of anger.

His eyes bore into mine, and I could feel his rage radiating off of him in waves. He didn't say a word, but his presence alone was enough to make me feel small and vulnerable.