Chapter 43

The room felt charged with tension as I squared off with him.

"Let go of me then I'll show you," I said, my voice steady but exasperated.

He held onto me even tighter, his stubbornness evident. "No."

I could feel my frustration building. "Then how can I leave?"

His response was infuriatingly cryptic. "Try it."

My eyes narrowed in disbelief. "You want me to physically hurt you to leave? Wasn't the hit to your balls earlier good enough?"

A smug, almost mocking smile tugged at the corners of his lips. "Oh that. It must have been shit because I didn't remember until now."

I rolled my eyes. "I really do not have the will or energy to physically try to remove myself. Get off me and I'll walk out that door without looking back at you once."

That must have really struck him. That I could walk away from him without turning around for him. And I could. Deep down within me, I would break into millions of pieces but I would keep walking.

He must have thought I wouldn't do it. He must have thought I was delusional enough to stick with him.

His grip on my slightly loosened and my body always wailed at the loss of his touch. I wanted him. I wanted every single one of his touches but my sanity deserved a chance to breathe.

He moved slightly back until I could feel the cold air coming in between us, almost creating this invisible barrier.

As I stood there, my resolve firm, I could see a flicker of doubt in his eyes. It was as if he had underestimated my determination to break free from his toxic grasp. The room felt heavy with the tension between us, and for a moment, it seemed like time stood still.

His voice, which had been so commanding earlier, now wavered as he reluctantly said, "Fine, go ahead, walk out." His gaze bore into me, searching for any sign of hesitation.

In that dimly lit room, I summoned every ounce of strength I had left. My steps were deliberate, each footfall a resounding declaration of my determination to stand up for myself. I could hear the faint rustle of fabric as I distanced myself from him, the air growing cooler with every inch of space I put between us.

Though my heart ached with the weight of what we once shared, I refused to look back.

My back was a fortress, guarding my emotions as I continued forward. I could feel the heat of his gaze burning into my back, a silent plea for me to reconsider, to turn and look into his eyes one more time. But I couldn't bring myself to do it.

My body halted as I reached the doorknob, my hands resting on the cold material for a few final moments I could have with Nate.

"You know," I began, my voice steady, "there was a time when your touch meant the world to me, when I would have done anything to stay with you. But I've come to realize that I deserve better than this. I deserve a life free from pain and toxicity."

With one final, determination will to put myself first, I opened the door and stepped out into the unknown, leaving behind a chapter of my life that had been filled with both pleasure and pain. All without looking at him once.

As I walked away, the weight on my shoulders lifted, and I knew that no matter how difficult the journey ahead might be, I had taken the first step toward healing and finding my own happiness.