Twenty-Three

- AUTHORS NOTE -

( ALSO the time line in this book is different from the books and show, Quentyn originally died a year after the Battle of The Blackwater but I used it as a plot device instead the timeline will be accelerated also as Daenerys is already Queen of Meereen when we are about in the beginning of season 3 now of the show)

- END OF AUTHORS NOTE -

Three weeks had passed. Aurane had sent word of the attack on Blackwater Bay. Stannis Baratheon had been defeated. Aurane had been taken as a prisoner of war but had regained the trust and liking of Queen Cersei. He now rode her tailcoats once again.

The black gowns and tunics in Sunspear had been traded for the colorful silks once again. Mellario had sent Quentyns ashes to Dorne for her husband to mourn. Being able to say goodbye to his son seemed to have put Doran in better spirits. He had not seen Vaelerys since his shameful confession.

Oberyn had taken Vaelerys' manipulative words to heart. He had stayed in Sunspear in his chambers instead of the brothels of the cities streets. But to Vaelerys horror, he took up bothering her as his hobby.

"Oberyn if you do not leave at once I will have Samira roast you like a pig over my fire." Vaelerys warned as she eyed her husband over the edge of her book.

It was late afternoon and Vaelerys was lounging near the fountains. Two servants fanned her with large palm leafs from the coast. Her husband stood tall, blocking the sun from her eyes.

"I am simply protecting your fair skin from the sun my lamb." He teased as he kicked at her chair, a smirk played on his lips.

She sent him another glare, secretly twisting her lips into a grin behind her pages on dragon genealogy of the Targaryen dynasty.

Samira rolled her eyes as she prepared the princess' lemonade. The castle had taken a large notice to the growing flirtations between Prince Oberyn and Princess Vaelerys. Some expect a babe soon, but Samira knew very well Vaelerys had not let Oberyn near her.

Oberyn clicked his tongue looking down at his sandal clad feet before speaking.

"I would like to take you into the city tonight." His eyes were pleading as he looked upon his lady wife through his long dark lashes.

Vaelerys felt her stomach explode with butterflies. They say a similar sensation occurs with Butterfly Fever, perhaps she had contracted it?

"Why?" Her eyebrow arched, a skeptic tone in her voice.

"I believe it's time you meet the people of the city you help rule." He smiled a lusty look in his eye.

Vaelerys scoffed.

"I am wife to a second son. I do not rule this city at all! I lounge about eating cake and complaining that my estranged husband suddenly won't leave me alone in the absence of his paramour. Perhaps I should send word of Ellaria to return immediately?"

A silence grew between them at the mention of Ellaria. Vaelerys thought it strange she kept away for so long from Oberyn. Wherever he went she usually followed and she had been in Hellholt nearly two moons now.

Oberyn paused before he debated on addressing the growing tension.

"Whether you believe me or not, Doran takes your council to heart. Words you say in times of uncertainty he acts upon. You remember when you told him to perhaps lower the taxes on the housing district and raising them in the nightlife area of Sunspear's city? To help with the homeless problem amongst the old? Well he did and the poor and old are very grateful to you if they know your deeds or not. Though the merchants and whore sponsor's owe the thinning of their pockets to you."