Chapter Twenty Two

*sigh* My assignments for University are now over, which means more time for stories!! Well, I have one due tomorrow, but I've already done it! CHEER FOR ME! :P

To be honest, I haven't been feeling very creative recently. Looking around online, I've noticed so many stories with more views and comments than mine. When I go to read them, I've noticed there's no punctuation or plot etc. and I feel like my stories are crap, even compared to those who can't spell everyday words without Wr1tiNg Lyk tH1Z. It's just me down about my stories recently and it's only been those who keep commenting and reading that have urged me to keep writing. If you're reading my stories, please comment and help me get a bit more love for this story! A simple comment like 'cool' or 'awesome' helps me see who's reading and it also helps the reach of my story altogether.

We rode in silence as we both figured out what to do next. I was sure that Acorn wanted to ride away from me as quickly as possible, but he managed to stay, his horse stomping confidently behind mine the entire silent trek.

I noticed wildlife along the way, including small birds and animals, but Acorn wasn't in the mood to be teaching me anything about them.

When the sun became nothing more than a deep red smear in the sky and the first stars were peeking out from behind wispy grey clouds, Acorn called for us to make camp in a quiet but confident voice.

I pulled my horse over in a glade and got off, my muscles screaming at me in pain. Usually when I hunted I used my own two feet to get around. Having a horse was strange and my body wasn't accepting it.

"Can you get a fire started?" Acorn asked as he started constructing a makeshift sleeping area out of large sticks and fabric he pulled from one of his saddle bags. I nodded, grateful to be given the easy task, and slowly made my way around the glade collecting dry wood.

As I did, I looked up at the sky as it slowly darkened, a cold wind accompanying the sudden quiet of the forest around us. I nervously glanced at Acorn, but he was busy putting out tent together, if you could call it that.

I went to the tent and started building a small fire in front of it so it would heat us up inside as well. With my back to Acorn, I arranged the wood as best I could before rubbing some of it together to create a small fire. Slowly, a small flame appeared and warmth filled the air around it. I rubbed my now chilly hands together in front of it to warm myself up.

Two hands descended on my shoulders gently and began rubbing small circles in my sore flesh. I knew it was Acorn without having to turn around.

"Whatever happens, I'll be here," he murmured softly, still giving me a small massage. I leant into his hands with a soft sigh.

"Why?" I asked, my mind already beginning to grow sleepy from the warmth.

Acorn's hands left my back and I whimpered in disappointment. He walked off to his horse and returned with a couple of potatoes and carrots. He began to cook them over the fire with nothing but some twigs skewered in them.

"Well," he began answering my question. "You're my friend. And you saved my life warning me about that woman. I might have gone with her, thinking I was helping, and been killed, leaving you alone to face the disease alone."

I tipped my head to the side, "You're not afraid that I could tell that woman was a demon?"

He shook his head, "It could have been a fluke, or it could have something to do with the poison the demon gave you. Maybe he added something to it to make you more perceptive of demons?"

"So he helped me," I chuckled, watching him turn the carrots as they started to grow crispy.

Acorn laughed and handed me one of the carrots, "I guess you could say that."

As I nibbled on the food, Acorn let out a long sigh, "Before, that demon was only a mirage. It wasn't real. Do you think... Do you think they did the same thing with the demon that sounded like my brother?"

I paused, pulling the carrot from my mouth. I slowly rose my eyes from the fire to look at him. His green eyes were clear, but full of worry. "I don't know," I said honestly.

He nodded and looked away, "Is it bad I wish that it was him? Just so I'd have a small piece of him left?"

"No!" I exclaimed. "That was your brother! You shouldn't be ashamed that you wish he was still around, no matter what form he's in."

"But wishing my brother was a demon..." He picked a piece of fabric from within his leather cuff and pulled his short, blond hair back, tying it up and out of his face. "I'm sorry, I'm being stupid."

I shook my head, "You're not being stupid. You're missing your brother, but if given the option you wouldn't want him here as a demon."

He shrugged, "If it meant seeing him one more time, a demon wouldn't be that bad. But still, I would hate to know he was suffering as a demon on this earth. I just hope he's at peace and I'll be able to meet him again."

I leant over and put a hand on his shoulder. "You will," I whispered.

Acorn gave me a small smile before leaning towards me and pressing out lips together for a small kiss. I kissed him back gently, both our eyes shut as he simply took in the intimacy of one another and the warmth of the fire.

He finally pulled back and we both looked at each other for a moment.

Then he smiled and passed me a cooked potato, "You should eat before it gets cold."

I had to chuckle softly at his reaction before taking the potato with a small word of thanks and eating it off the stick. It was warm and creamy, and I realised he had slid some sort of butter into the centre of it.

"What is this?" I asked, astonished.

He grinned, "You see these trees around us-"

I cut him off, "Oh please don't give me any more lessons!"

"I thought you loved them!" he teased. He pointed at the trees. "The sap. Simple."

I grinned at him, "Simple. Well, it's a nice tasting sap."

"It's actually made from spiders. They weave a sort of wax web that... you don't care." He noticed my blank expression and laughed.

Rolling my eyes, I went back to my creamy potato with relish, "Maybe if I could spell the word sap I would feel better towards it."

He grinned at my joke, "I'll teach you that, and many more words." His eyes flicked down my body for a moment before he began eating his own potato. "It's going to be cold tonight. I suggest we turn in early."

"No funny business," I said, eyeing him suspiciously.

He sighed dramatically, "Fine! No funny business. But if you feel something strange in the middle of the night, it's just the forest snakes."

I gulped and looked around, trying to see any snakes. Suddenly the joke dawned on me and I glared at him as he lay there laughing at my stupidity.

"I'll give you forest snakes!" I frowned, throwing my stick at him, sans potato. I finished the last bit off and went to the makeshift tent.

Acorn ate his own potato quickly and hurried in after me, bringing a whole heap of blankets, "We're going to need to keep warm so we're going to have to snuggle." He teased me, "Are you old enough to snuggle?"

I grabbed the blankets and threw them on top of myself, "Find a tree to snuggle!"

"Nah, you're warmer." He slid in behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist, sharing his warmth with me. "Normally I would have us keep watch in turns and make sure the fire doesn't go out, but right now we're both too tired for that. Just get some rest."

Before I could argue, I felt my eyes slip shut as the warmth and intimacy encompassed me and I fell asleep to the sound of the crackling fire.