Chapter Thirty Seven

So we are pretty much at the conclusion! I'm going to split this into two parts so I can draw it out a little bit more! I don't want this to end ;-; But at the same time, I can't wait for the next one (which will be based on different characters) that I'm going to write! This has been one of the first stories I've written for an audience and it has made me love writing so much more! Hopefully, as I go, my writing will grow and transform for the better so I can be a better writer for all of you!

Thank you for being on this journey with me! I will never forget all of the wonderful things that have been written and all the support you've given me. You really are the best! <3

Three Weeks Later

It had been a busy time for all of us. We had cut off all communication with my Kingdom as Acorn ascended to the throne. I could tell he wasn't enjoying his new-found responsibilities, but he had no other option.

Scarlet has been taken under Walter's wing and has been learning a lot. Slowly but surely I'm seeing the gleam of intelligence enter her eyes. She's less pale, she's learning to wear clothes, and she's beginning to smile.

Thankfully, Tattoo got Tim out of the palace and they were both safe. They're now living back with us. In fact, both Tattoo and Tim sleep with us, as they're too afraid to leave our sides.

Which leaves Acorn and I in an awkward state.

We had promised each other when we were through that we would finally be together, but we'd had no chance. When we went to bed people were there, and when we woke up he had so many duties to perform. How had his mother accomplished everything she had while also fitting in her sexual appetite?

While it was nice to have so many people I could call mine, it was also quite lonely. I always imagined what it would be like to have a family, but I didn't feel like that could happen without Acorn.

Now I was sitting in the main hall, once again surrounded by people. I sighed softly as I drank from my cup of warm mead. Tim was excitedly telling me about his day.

"And Walter told me about all the bones in my body! This one is my... um, elbow?"

I cracked a smile and ruffled his hair, "Were you listening to him at all today?" He had grown so big so quickly. Having good food and education had caused him to grow so much before us.

He swatted my hand away and flattened his hair back down. "Yes, I was!"

"Uh huh," I chuckled softly. "Are you sure you weren't watching Scarlet again? You seem to get distracted by her a lot."

Tim blushed brightly. "I'm not staring at her! She's just... very pretty. Besides, she's mums friend."

I paused when I heard that. He had recently started calling Tattoo his mother. To be fair, the woman was putting in a lot of efforts to give the boy the type of maternal love he would need, but I was worried about how long it might last. If Tattoo decided she wanted to leave, then what? Would Tim lose another mother?

He had yet to call either Acorn or me his father. I don't know if that's because he's confused about which is which, or if he doesn't see us as father figures at all. It both hurts me and makes me feel relieved all at once. Does that make me a bad person?

I put my glass down. "Don't worry about who catches your eye, Tim. If it's a girl, if it's a boy, don't be afraid to have a crush on someone. Especially when you're young. It's a lot easier then."

Scarlet, who had been sitting across from us quietly, looked up at me. "You know," she said softly, "those are some wise words. Ones that you should follow too. Maybe if you take a walk, you'll find them true as well."