Chapter Thirty Three

Ohh can you feel the tingles? What tingles you might ask? The relationship tingles of course! Who will Acorn defend? The love he has for Incent, or the honour he feels for his brochocho! If you're wondering, that's Aussie for brother. (only joking of course xD)

I hope you enjoy this chappy and feel free to leave comments!!! <3

My eyes went wide as I scrambled for purchase at Kaeden's hands, trying to pull them away from my already painful neck. He was digging his fingers in tightly so that even if he let go, my neck might be too damaged anyway.

I arched away from him, trying to dislodge him in whatever way was possible but his grip was insanely strong. Lights danced in front of my eyes and, as my body began to relax, the fear drifted away. I watched the beautiful lights in front of me.

Purple, blue, green, white...

They were changing colour constantly and the white seemed to be taking over. For a brief moment I wondered about a higher power. Some people believed in them, but I wasn't the best at that. Belief to me was something I never had the time for, but now it was something I knew I probably should have taken into consideration. Would they be a kind higher power? No. If they were, there wouldn't be such suffering and demons wouldn't exist to harm us.

Suddenly the feeling disappeared and I was left gasping for breath. I let in a wheeze that seemed to scream through the library, rusting the books and turning the pages. I turned onto my chest and got up on all fours, helping my lungs take in painful gasps of air.

As I heaved, I looked up to see what had happened. To my surprise, Kaeden was on the floor with Acorn standing over him. He had his sword out and was holding it beneath the demon's chin. The demon was so still that for a moment I thought he might be dead, but then I saw the tiniest movement from his chest that showed he was still breathing.

"You're not going to kill him," Acorn said stiffly, glaring down at his brother.

Kaeden's eyes slid over to me before he looked back up at the Prince, "And you're not going to kill me for him. I'm your brother. Together, we could be a team again. Remember that? You and your brains and me and my strength? We always said we'd be the most unstoppable force."

I saw Acorn's hand tremble slightly, but he kept the sword level. "You're not human anymore."

Kaeden bit his lip and I saw the flesh break off and enter his mouth. The look was definitely not was he was aiming for, but he still tried to maintain an innocent look. "Is my body that deformed?"

Acorn's face twisted with pain and he finally lowered the sword. It was still within swinging distance, but it was enough so that he could have a conversation. "It's not your body, it's your personality. You're not Kaeden anymore."

"How can you judge that?" the demon sighed.

"Because of how you're acting. You would never have randomly strangled someone. You're better than that."

"Okay, I've changed," he shrugged awkwardly from the floor.

We all jerked when we heard footsteps on the marble floor outside of the library and I looked up to see Tim standing in the doorway, a puzzled look on his face. My eyes went to Kaeden and saw a hungry look on the demon's face. I looked back at Tim and motioned at him, "Come here." My voice rang out in the library and Tim lifted his horror filled eyes from the demon. I didn't trust Tim out there while Lothaire was in the castle, and I didn't want him standing where I couldn't protect him from the demon with us.

I was happy to see Tim make his way over to me without hesitation. He still recognised me and trusted me to some extent. I stood and put Tim on one of the library chairs and murmured in his ear, "If I tell you to run, run away. And I mean out of the castle and as far as you can go." When the boy nodded I smiled and ruffled his hair before turning back to the two brothers and Par who was lounging in the background and watching every moment with his sharp eyes.

"Who did this to you?" Acorn was asking as I tuned back in. "Why are you a demon? When you're dead you should be dead."

Kaeden slowly got up from the ground and looked at his feet, "I was brought back from the dead."

"Like necromancy?" Acorn frowned. "That's impossible."

Par coughed softly as if clearing his throat, but I saw Kaeden's face change. He grew slightly tense and he shook his head, "Enough about that. You've changed too but I still call you brother."

"Are you here for the crown?" Acorn asked. "Because you can't have it. Not in your state."

Kaeden's eyes widened in shock. "You would deny me my own birthright?"

Acorn looked stuck for words so I stepped closer and spoke. "Do you age, Kaeden?"

The demon glared at me, "No. I'm a demon."

I shrugged. "Then you can't take the throne. Who wants an immortal King ruling forevermore?"

"Maybe if you had an immortal King this Kingdom wouldn't be going into ruins." He shot back at me, beginning to look angry. He'd almost had Acorn for a moment, but it had been ruined by me.

Acorn scoffed softly, "Ruins? It would be fine if it weren't for that plague. Speaking of that, do you have any idea how that began?"

Kaeden blinked innocently at his brother. "No idea."

I looked over at Acorn and the man met my eyes and nodded. At that moment I knew. Acorn was a smart man and he had never been fooled by Kaeden for a minute. He was trying to gain information while he could before killing him. My heart leapt in joy with the knowledge that we weren't going to die.

However, while I came to this understanding, so did Kaeden. His vague innocence transformed into a snarl. His eyes went to me and for a moment I thought he was going to attack me but then something went off in my brain and my body moved before I even understood what I had subconsciously figured out.

I jumped in the way of him reaching for Tim and cried out as his greasy hand smacked into my bloody back. That hand went into my dreadlocks and yanked painfully before it dropped. I turned my head to look at him and met the demon's eyes which were full of surprise. He opened his mouth as if he were going to speak but only blood dripped from it.

Glancing down, I saw the point of a sword disappear back into the body as Acorn pulled his weapon back. When the sword was free, Kaeden dropped to his knees and looked up at him brother for a split second before his entire body crashed to the floor as he died.

Taking gasping breaths of shock (I hadn't even realised I was holding my breath) I reached for Tim and held him close. The little boy was crying and I whispered over and over that it was all right and that he was safe now.

I looked over his tiny little head to see Acorn standing there, staring at his brother's dead body. He looked at me when he realised I was watching him.

"Thank you," I murmured. "You saved Tim's life."

He shook his head slowly, "I didn't kill my brother for Tim."

I gazed at him in confusion, but as he continued to look steadily into my eyes I understood what he meant. "Thank you," I said again.

Not knowing what his reaction would be, I reached out my hand to Acorn while my other arm was still around Tim. He hesitated for a split second before reaching out and taking my hand and giving it a tight squeeze.

It would be a while before we realised Par had disappeared.

It seems like people are struggling with what to write to me, so I'll ask a question for you to answer! Do you think Acorn made the right choice in killing his brother? Or should he have just captured him instead?

By the way, I would love everyone to answer these questions and leave reviews, regardless of when you're reading this story! If it's a month after I posted the chapter or three years afterward, I would love to see your input!!

"5^;0