Failed Surpise

Tw: David, homophobic comments, violence

It's been exactly 24 hours and 7 minutes since Charlie last saw his boyfriend.

As the young teenager sat in his bedroom, playing drums or going on his phone to ease his boredom he realized something, and that something was he had never bought Nick flowers.

Nick was the best boyfriend you could ever ask for, he deserves flowers.

That's why Charlie now stood at the front door of the Nelson household. He knocked and fiddled with the bouquet he had picked out from the shop nearby, praying to god that Nick likes this surprise and doesn't think it was too girly.

Before he had the chance to knock, the door swung open. Charlie got ready to greet Nick's mom who he loved dearly, but froze as it was not who he expected.

Someone he didn't love dearly...

David.

David is Nick's older brother. From what Nick told Charlie, they have never gotten along even as kids.
It also didn't help that after Nick came out as Bi, David revealed that he's a homophobic and biphobic asshole as well; no surprise there.

"Oh. It's you." David rolled his eyes in annoyance.

Charlie sighed, trying not to punch the older guy in front of him who had caused Nick so much trauma as a kid. "Yes. It's me." He mocked in reply.

David snorted, "I never knew that gays were so feisty." He said in amusement.

Charlie shook his head, deciding to ignore that comment. "Where's Nick?" He wondered.

"Nick is out shopping with mom. How pathetic, he hangs out with his mom because he doesn't have any friends." David laughed.

He glared at David.

Of course the first time Charlie tries to do a romantic gesture for Nick he's busy.. "It's not pathetic. Nick's got plenty of friends. You're just jealous since Nick can score a guy and a girl and you can't even a girl." Charlie sassed in response.

David clenched his fist. "You're just jealous because I'm not a pathetic F** like you." He smirked at the homophobic slur.

"I couldn't ever want to be like you!" Charlie raised his voice, tears of frustration whelming in his eyes. 

David rolled his eyes once again and slammed the door.

Charlie flinched at the sound that echoed right in front of his face and stood on the porch, not sure what to do next. He looked at the flowers with a pout, he just wanted to be a good boyfriend for Nick.

Meanwhile...

Sarah checked her phone as it got a notification that someone was at their front porch from her security camera. "Nicky, why is Charlie just standing on the front porch?" At the mention of Charlie, Nick stopped looking at shirt options. He rushed to her side, "what?" Sarah showed Nick the live video that was rolling.

It was Charlie, standing there looking like a lost puppy.

He was holding...flowers? Oh my god were those flowers for him!?

Nick grabbed his phone from his pocket and went to text Charlie.

Nicky: baby why are you on the front porch?

Char: are you a stalker or something?

Nick couldn't help but chuckle at Charlie's response.

Nicky: look to your left, there's a security camera that has a live video

Char: oh! I guess the surprise is ruined 💐😅 I tried to come in but David opened the door

Nick tensed at the mention of his older brother.

Nicky: shit are you okay? Did he say anything? My mom and I are heading home now

Char: don't worry I'm okay ❤️

Nick set down his phone and fiddled with it the whole drive home. He knew Charlie wasn't okay and wanted to punch his brother in the face.

As soon as they arrived at the house, Nick got out of the car and rushed over to Charlie.

"Hi-" Charlie was about to say but oofed as Nick tackled him into a hug. Nick clung to Charlie, "I'm so sorry for anything my brother said to you." He rambled.

"Hey." Charlie made Nick look at him, "no s word remember?"

"but my brother is a complete ass and after talking with him you're going to need an apology." Nick rambled. Charlie leaned into Nick and hid in his shoulder, "A hug is all I need." He mumbled.

Nick smiled softly and wrapped his boyfriend up in a hug, holding him as close as he could.

"could you not do that here?" David scuffed as he walked into the room. Nick tensed and tried to avoid looking at David.

Charlie turned to David, clenching his fist. "What? Love and affection? I'm guessing you aren't used to that." He answered impatiently.

David clenched his fist as well and punched the younger teenager. Charlie yelped as the first met his lip causing him to stumble to the side from the impact. Nick grabbed David and slammed him up against the wall, anger in his eyes.

"You can insult me all you want, shove me around even. But do NOT fucking dare, insult or punch my boyfriend." Nick growled. He huffed in frustration as he was pulled back by Sarah.

"Apologize.." Sarah demanded, staring at David. David drew a sharp breath and looked at Charlie. "Sorry." He mumbled and stormed off. Nick had teary eyes as he looked at his boyfriend's swollen lip. "Shit, let me go get you an ice pack." He rambled.

"No, nicky you go snuggle Charlie and I'll get him an ice pack. Charlie I'm so sorry for David's behavior." Sarah said softly. She was so embarrassed.

"It's not your fault sarah." Charlie assured, clinging onto Nick's arm. Nick gently pulled Charlie upstairs and sat on the bed opening his arms. Charlie sunk into nick's arms and hid in his neck.

Even if he got punched, the snuggling afterword's definitely made up for it.