Hold the line (Buck's POV)

Peaceful. That is the only way that I can describe the sleep that I am having. It is a miracle that I even fell asleep at all. It is due to the fact that Ella, Eddie, Hen and I are on our way to a special assignment. The next thing I know is the feeling of something making contact with my ribs. With that, I come around to the situation. We have arrived at the area that is acting as the base of operations. As soon as my boots hit the ground I am met by what can only be described as wet and warm air. My face scrunches in disgust.

"Something's wrong with the air," I complain. Of course, the heat is from the wildfire but it feels like the air is wet. I feel like I am the only one who is bothered.

"There is a wildfire going on, remember," Hen reminds me as she and Ella join us.

"It's not that. It feels like I'm being slapped by a wet towel," I say. I have encountered the feeling before but not to this degree. Texas is weird.

"It's called humidity. Welcome to Texas, Buck," Eddie says as he casually strolls past us. He must feel like he is home. It doesn't take long for us to be herded into the spot for the briefing. It doesn't take long for the briefing to start.

"Ok everyone I am Deputy Chief De Leon of the San Angelo fire department. I am the acting incident commander," The man introduces himself. It is at that moment I notice a vaguely familiar Islamic woman. The more I look at her the more convinced I am of the fact that I know her from somewhere.

"Buck stops staring," Hen tells me off. It is at that moment my cheeks go a whole shade redder. Hopefully, Ella hasn't noticed.

"I'm not staring," I whisper in my defence. I just can't place it. I've seen her somewhere before.

"Your staring," Eddie joins in. One of the Texas firefighters whispers something to her. I can feel the daggers coming my way. With that, I turn my attention back to Chief De Leon.

"I want to introduce you all to my operations section chief. Captain Owen Strand out of Austin," Chief De Leon wraps up his briefing as another man joins him. The man looks like he has been dragged through the mud quite a few times. Like so many of the Texas firefighters he looks tired. I guess that is what you get for trying to contain a wildfire. Before he says anything Owen takes a deep breath.

"The thing we were praying wouldn't happen has happened. The wind has shifted. The fire is now on a collision course with San Angelo. There is a possibility of weather coming in but we can't rely on it and we won't. We have one last shot at turning the tide. Here. On copper ridge," Owen points at the map to emphasise his point. His authority over the situation reminds me of the way Bobby commands the 118. I just hope that his plan works.

"We cut a containment line here and we can stop this beast in its tracks," Owen traces the line with his finger. It is lucky that he has backup. It is going to be a long day.

"I know you're exhausted. A lot of you haven't had more than a couple of hours asleep in days but on behalf of the city of San Angelo and its twelve hundred and twenty souls we are going to get you up on that fire line and you are going to cut like hell. Good luck. Stay safe," Owen concludes his speech.

"Buck seriously? Please don't make me report you to HR," Hen tells me off one last time. It is at that moment I realise that Ella had been watching this whole time. I will have to apologise when we get our equipment from the truck. Before we can do anything a man sprints to the command table.

"We have a situation," he announces. One of the Texas firefighters and I shot a worried look in Captain Strand's direction.

"I thought all of the evacuations were complete," Chief De Leon remarks as he joins the pair.